A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife: Winter Herping in Venda

Sounds fascinating!

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Gerbils? Are they native to South Africa?

Bush-babies are arboreal primates that need gum trees as a food supply, so I'm guessing that there were gum trees in the area. smiley - smiley

You have a picture of a massive, boxy tree. Is that ironwood?



Sounds fascinating!

Post 2

Willem

Hello! I'm glad you liked this. Yes, several species of gerbil are native to South Africa. They're lovely! Bush-babies eat the gum of a few different kinds of trees, principally thorn trees (Senegalia, Vachellia) and bushwillows (Combretum), of which there were many in the region. They also eat fruit and small critters.

The massive boxy tree is I reckon the Baobab! Can you see me in front of it? The other one, on the red sand with Ruan standing beside it, is the Shepherd's Tree.


Sounds fascinating!

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

In the Torah and the Bible, Cherubim guard the tree of life (Baobab) from humans who have fallen into sin. They're native to Madagascar, mainland Africa, and Australia.

So since I see no cherubim trying to keep you from that tree, you have not fallen into sin. smiley - winkeye


Sounds fascinating!

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Where did you get that the tree of life is a baobab? smiley - bigeyes

The Book of Enoch says it has fruit like a date palm. smiley - laugh


Sounds fascinating!

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

http://aduna.com/blogs/learn/the-baobab-tree#:~:text=Baobab%20trees%20grow%20in%2032,their%20homes%20near%20Baobab%20trees.

The book of Enoch is not in the Bible

http://www.christianity.com/wiki/bible/what-is-the-book-of-enoch-and-should-it-be-in-the-bible.html

Of course, all these assertions were made a very long time ago. All we know for sure is that the Baobab tree is still around. It's a nice tree, with a trunk that stores water. Pretty remarkable. If people would like to imagine cherubim guarding it, no harm is done.


The Baobab produces pods which contain a dried fruit pulp.
http://baobabfoods.com/sustainability/the-baobab-tree#:~:text=The%20tree's%20fruits%20are%20large,nutritious%20%5Bsee%20Baobab%20Nutrition%5D.

I've never tasted it. Maybe it tastes the way Enoch said. Who knows?



Sounds fascinating!

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Enoch is in the Coptic Bible. smiley - smiley It's also quoted in the New Testament, so there's evidence early Christians knew it.

I do not know of a Biblical text which refers to the baobab tree, which is why I asked. Since it's not native to the countries where the Bible texts were written, I'd wonder if it showed up.


Sounds fascinating!

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Apparently, baobab trees grow in kibbutses in Southern Israel.

http://www.moag.gov.il/en/Subjects/hugging_a_tree/Hiking_routes_and_tales_of_trees/Trips_in_Southern/Pages/default.aspx#:~:text=There%20are%20a%20number%20of,The%20story%20of%20the%20tree%3A&text=In%20Israel%2C%20the%20tree%20only,and%20developing%20in%20hot%20regions.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife: Winter Herping in Venda

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more