The h2g2 Post: 17.08.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 17th August 2020

Mystery, Awe and Wonder
(plus giggles)

View from Plane by Randy

Taking the wide view: we really need to during this summer of confusion. What with the pandemic and the weather and the people, sometimes it makes our heads spin, and not in a good way. Speaking of weather and other unwelcome phenomena, the US state of North Carolina reported in one week tornados, a hurricane, and an earthquake. Somebody pointed out that at least they hadn't had locusts. So it goes, and we're trying to roll with the punches.

Sticking close to home and trying to stay cheerful, many of us are working on our mindfulness. We offer the picture above as a meditation aid. Our friend Randy took it while he was flying out to Yellowstone National Park. He saw some wonderful sights there, which he'll be sharing with us in upcoming issues of the Post.

This week, we've got lots of bugs and flowers and unusual sights and such, plus some giggles and thoughts for you. Let's give you a rundown.
Deep Thought
  • Last week marked the end of a nine-year writing series. If you didn't notice, nobody's blaming you. Freewayriding did notice, which accounts for this week's guest writing column by h2g2's own favourite super-antihero, the multi-talentless zombie, Henry Letterbox. Be sure to read his 'Writing Wrongly' column. Leave the same kinds of comments you always did for 'Writing Right'. See where that gets you.
  • I'm out of the writing-advice business and into the opinionated columnist trade. See the first think-piece in this issue under 'Deep Thought'. It's about mashing buttons (I'll explain).
  • The bees are humming. They may not know the words, but they sure know the tune. Superfrenchie has gathered some up. I set one to music.
  • More nature: an unknown bug. An unknown flower. An unknown…goat? Oh, why not? Help us identify the wild stuff. Also: Phred Firecloud is back with an update on the anhingas in his backyard. Amazing things await.
  • The other Fred, Factoid by trade, has unearthed some volunteer folk art.
  • Willem has a pelican and an ongoing story, Bluebottle is heating up the plot, I'm making jokes (I swear that's what they are), and Awix is back from the cinema with more news. Photos need commenting, and a quiz needs guessing. Get to work.
Send more Stuff! Give me something to look at besides the groundhog in my backyard.. And have a good week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Rejection Slip from 1920
Editorial rejection slip, 1920


Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week:   If you were on a spaceship and it began overheating, would you be worried? Because... you are on a spaceship and it is overheating. Just thought you should know.

Alternative NOAA @altNOAA (Twitter)

Create July 2020 by Freewayriding
August Create Challenge:
Nature Gets a Break




BIG SKIES, THINGS THAT FLY

(or don't)

Pink-Backed Pelican

Pink-Backed Pelican by Willem

THOUGHTY STUFF

MYSTERIES

Mystery Bug and Flower

Mystery Bug and Flower by Superfrenchie


WONDERS




Artichokes and Bees
Artichokes and Bees by Superfrenchie
THIS'N'THAT

AND THE OTHER
  • Video
  • Letterbox Rox Black Sabbath!


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87989134

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more