Create Challenge, April 2020: Dealing with Grief

1 Conversation

Create Challenge, April 2020: Dealing with Grief

Coping with Grief by Freewayriding
April is the cruellest month, breeding

Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing

Memory and desire, stirring

Dull roots with spring rain.


TS Eliot

Robbie Stamp's asked us to do this one. The Create Team are pleased to comply.

Grief: sooner or later, we all experience it. It is part of being alive on this planet. How do we deal with it? This month, we'd like you to share with us. We'd like you to think about what happens when you experience deep loss – the loss of a friend or family member, the loss of an animal companion, or a serious alteration in circumstance that leaves you bereft.

Here are some questions for those who have experienced grief, though you may have more.

  • Is grief a duty? An affliction? A form of healing?
  • Does grieving affect the way you see the world?
  • What did other people do for you in a time of grief that was helpful – or unhelpful? Have you been able to help grieving friends? If you have, how did you manage it?
  • Some people say there are 'stages' to grief. Has that been your experience? Does labelling the 'stages' help?
  • Does time really heal emotional wounds?
  • Do you think anything positive ever comes out of grief? If not, then why do we grieve? If so, could you share your positive experiences?

As always, we welcome your personal anecdotes and stories. We also welcome fiction, poetry, art, photography, graphic narrative, and factual entries for the Edited Guide. This Create topic can be a mitzvah1 for yourself as well as others. Help Robbie and the Create Team as we try to deepen our understanding of this common experience.

Resources: Please watch Robbie Stamp's TEDx Talk on the subject when you get a chance. And read Researchers' thoughts in the Post tributes archive.


Create Challenge Archive

Create

1Blessing.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87976859

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more