Video: The Boulevards of Paris, 1920

0 Conversations

Video: The Boulevards of Paris, 1920

Ah, time. Some say it flows, others, that it is fleeting. (It fleets? Flits?) Some say nothing changes. Others, that change is the only constant.

What about some empirical evidence? Like, say, a video of Paris in 1920? One hundred years ago, here they are. Many of the same buildings and streets. Some of the same food, perhaps. And look: is that Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog? A lot looks familiar.

But a lot doesn't. Those hats. The moustaches. The uniforms. The fashions, generally. And the cars….

I fished this public domain film out of archive.org (thanks!), and added some music, most of which is thanks to Youtube's freebie archive. The last song is played by me from an ancient piece of sheet music.

For more information on what is the same and what different, why not ask our Superfrenchie? She knows this city, we'll bet.

Click here for the video, or watch the embedded version in your Pliny-skin page.


Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

23.03.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87975760

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more