A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife: Spurwinged Goose

At last! An answeer to he question "What's black and white and red all over?"

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I can't imagine why Disney hasn't produced a cartoon version of this goose/duck/whatever. After all they had no particular reason to create Gyro Gearloose, yet they did.

This guy would probably wear spats, like Uncle Scrooge. Geese and ducks have an amazing d survival advantage: they fly, they swim, and they walk. When one body of water dries up, or if the weather gets colder than they prefer, they migrate. Best of all, they don't have finicky appetites. What could be more abundant as a food source than grass?

Since this goose/duck is not endangered, does it appear on the table form time to time? Do subsaharaners have favorite recipes for it? smiley - smiley


At last! An answeer to he question "What's black and white and red all over?"

Post 2

Willem

Hello! I haven't even heard of Gyro Gearloose! Not that much of a Disney fan actually … not that I'm against the work their slaves do for them, I'm just not a fan of their overall megalomania.

Yeah the ducks and geese are quite adaptable! It's interesting how they move around in response to rains and where the water accumulates. There are a few kinds over here I worry about … for instance we have a lovely species called the Southern Pochard, which used to be so common I grew bored with it … and I haven't seen any for several years now …

Oh I forgot to put in the best part! Spurwinged Geese are actually POISONOUS in parts of Africa! They accumulate toxins from beetles that they eat - and eating one, can kill a human! So … I haven't heard of them being eaten much, or at all.


At last! An answeer to he question "What's black and white and red all over?"

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

That's lucky for them, then!

They look so formal and elegant, with their bright red heads and black bodies. I bet people stare at them as they go by.


At last! An answeer to he question "What's black and white and red all over?"

Post 4

Willem

They're quite special … but most folks over here are so oblivious they likely would not even notice these. For bird-watchers they're special treats! It's easy to find them since they usually whistle as they go about, so if you hear the whistle you just pinpoint the origin and there you have your goose!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife: Spurwinged Goose

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more