A Conversation for Career Curiosities - Episode 32 - Interview Incidents Part 2

For shame, no elevator!

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Ramps and curb cuts and elevators are everywhere in my area. It has really made a difference for those in wheelchairs or using canes or walkers.

I am so sorry to see people not getting jobs because of this...


For shame, no elevator!

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Yes indeed access makes a difference to disabled people, families and others, so it is disappointing that there is still a long way to go.

The Disability Discrimination Act came into law in the UK in 1995, but the key phrase is that organisations have to make 'Reasonable Adjustments'. On the one hand I can understand that some things wouldn't be 'reasonable', but then on the other hand I have seen creative solutions to problems (eg putting elevators discreetly into old buildings) and wonder why other organisations can't do that, too...


For shame, no elevator!

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

This is definitely seen as more of a basic right in the US. When it comes to the Americans with Disabilities Act, we do get the occasional obtuse question about 'Why you need Braille on a bank drive-thru?' (Ever hear of pedestrians? I thought not), but just about everybody gets the ramp and elevator situation.

I was much amused a couple of Christmases ago when I had a gig in the university theatre. I wanted to find the restrooms, which were downstairs. They showed me the lift. I'm paranoid about lifts in small buildings, because I have had some bad experiences in various countries, and I didn't want to get a flashback before I had to go on. This was my problem, there was nothing wrong with their lift. But tell my subconscious that...

It turned out that to get to toilets by way of the stairs, you had to go to the other end of the building, walk all the way down, go down a corridor, take steps back up... But the lift was conveniently located and big enough to accommodate even a mobility chair.


For shame, no elevator!

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

That is impressive that the lift was the most convenient way of navigating the building! Quite often it is the case that eg a ramped entrance is round the back, or the lift is at the other end of the building, so that is refreshing (although lifts and ramps are not for everyone, that's true, so a variety of options are needed).


For shame, no elevator!

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" we do get the occasional obtuse question about 'Why you need Braille on a bank drive-thru?'" [Dmitri]

I've heard that objection too, but all you have to do is think about it for a few minutes. Sure, the braille is on the driver's side (blind people don't drive), but there are often rear seats on the driver's side. That's where a blind person could be sitting. The driver could pull forward far enough for the rear seat passenger to use the ATM.

I've also seen people ridicule health and fitness centers for having escalators at their entrances. Why would a person capable of walking or jogging need an escalator? Well, many such facilities cater to people who are having physical therapy. Even a community pool can be used paraplegics....


For shame, no elevator!

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Absolutely! For instance, all the chiropractors in town also do sports medicine, so they get both athletes and people with back problems. I've run into elderly people and high school football players in the waiting room.

Same with fitness places and physical therapy places.

Sometimes I think people just want something to complain about. smiley - laugh


For shame, no elevator!

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I cut people some slack if they're elderly enough. Grumbling remains in your job description as other things gradually become too hard to do. smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Career Curiosities - Episode 32 - Interview Incidents Part 2

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more