The Zoo Comes to Town

1 Conversation

The Zoo Comes to Town

Lieutenant Dan, the legless lizard
This is a legless lizard. His name is 'Lieutenant Dan'. Get it?

Weekend before last, as part of the annual autumn festival, there was a wild animal demonstration in front of the courthouse. The animal wrangler, a lively woman by the name of Megan, showed off her friends to the assembled kids (who were very well-behaved) and adults (who laughed at her jokes). We appreciated: she'd driven a hundred miles to get here, and they didn't even set her up on the stage. We gathered round the van, sat the kids down on the tarmac, and soaked in the information. Megan clearly loves each and every one of the critters, except for the snake, which she treats with respect.

Megan explained that all of her wildlife friends were either born in captivity (usually going back generations), or were 'rehab failures': animals that couldn't make the transition back to the wild. To pay for their upkeep, they served as ambassadors for the natural world by appearing around the country. They also appeared in films (the tarantula is a big star because of her cooperative nature).

Barred OwlBoa constrictor
South American porcupineTarantula

Click here to see Megan and her friends in action, or watch the video in your Pliny-skin page.


Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

14.10.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87951991

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more