A Conversation for Career Curiosities - Episode 20

Cutting-edge technology

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The trouble with the cutting edge is that people are likely to get wounded. smiley - sadface


Cutting-edge technology

Post 2

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Reminds me of an office move where all computers were put on the same fuse. The next monday after more and more people came in the office: Poof!

Even an even temperature can be a problem. I use to be in a mixed Japanese / European office. The Japanese (managers) wanted 24 centigrade, the Europeans 20. We had some sort of silent temperature war going on.


Cutting-edge technology

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

if this was in the past, then has it been resolved since then? smiley - huh


Cutting-edge technology

Post 4

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I don't work there anymore, so I'm not sure. I do know that you can have micro weather in the office (draughts between high and low temperature zones)

My current office has no user servicable parts to influence the climate. So it is 20 degrees all year round (except last two weeks when they serviced the air conditioning in the hottest period of the year)


Cutting-edge technology

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" they serviced the air conditioning in the hottest period of the year" [Caiman raptor elk]

Sounds as if that wasn't such a hot idea. smiley - doh


Cutting-edge technology

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, there wasn't much space for humans at the cutting edge of that technology! I hope they did manage to improve the temperature situation after I moved to a different office, but I can imagine it would have been a challenge if they did!

That wasn't a good idea to service the air conditioning while it was necessary... I can understand things like boilers breaking in winter after having been off for a while and then being needed, but servicing should be an out-of-season job to make sure the device is more likely to be ready to get to work when it is needed!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Career Curiosities - Episode 20

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more