A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: Necessary Violence

I hate TV trailers

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

I hate TV trailers. Why? Because they offer a series of violent images. So I don't watch the programmes.

I can cope with violence in books but not in film.


I hate TV trailers

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

You might be missing out. smiley - laugh If you've seen the trailers for 'Good Omens', you might be fearing the worst...

I incline somewhat in another direction. I find ideas when read more likely to stay in my mind than fleeting visual images. I've just read an old pulp fiction volume today (written by a master, though), and the imagery has stuck with me in a way a film never would.




I hate TV trailers

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm looking forward to "Good Omens," having enjoyed the book.

Why would you talk about your writing advice as "useless," Dmitri? Your advice always gets me thinking. As I inch my way closer to geezerhood day by day, I need to be sure that thinking (which will someday be all that I have left) stays feasible.

It might be possible to do a satire in which Chekhov's advice about the gun is tweaked for comic effect. Leslie Nielsen's "Naked gun" movies had some hilarious gun-related violence. smiley - laugh

For all I know, there may a film in which someone fills the barrel of his gun with gin or whiskey. smiley - smiley


I hate TV trailers

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - ok I'm glad this column works as intended, Paul - as an aid to people's own thinking. smiley - smiley

Have you ever seen 'Support Your Local Sheriff'? It's an old comedy from the 60s with James Garner. The gun scene in that one is memorable, funny, and has a message. smiley - winkeye


I hate TV trailers

Post 5

FWR

Yeah, I hate gratuitous violence in films and books and adverts and music... and mime and knitware too... Oh wait.. No... sorry...had a bit of a moment then... Back to the Group W bench for me... Blood and guts and gore... smiley - cheers


I hate TV trailers

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork

My point was 'gratuitous'. Meaning 'gets in the way of the story'. For instance, what would be a perfectly acceptable level of violence in 'Escape from LA' (excellent film, btw, I've seen it at least twice) would hardly be appropriate in a set of knitting instructions.

And if that doesn't get you off my case and onto an idea, I'll be surprised....smiley - run....


I hate TV trailers

Post 7

FWR

Snake Pliskin was a bloody good crochetter ill have you know!


I hate TV trailers

Post 8

FWR

*You got 24 hours, Snake, better get knitting... And Pliskin... we need a matching scarf to compliment the cardigan... *


I hate TV trailers

Post 9

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - evilgrinsmiley - rofl


I hate TV trailers

Post 10

FWR

Snake spread out the diagram on the battered and rusty hood of the Buick. His good eye squinting in the dim streetlight as he traced the outline with his gloved fingers.

Snarling at the Major, Snake spat the chewed match, and growled, *Why me?*

*Because your expendable, Pliskin* the Major snatched up the pattern, *Expendable and the best damn knitter on the West Coast!*

*And if I refuse?* Snake scowled, rubbing his eyepatch.

*One: The President doesn't get a nice Christmas pressie .. and two: You don't get to keep your head on your shoulders!*

The Major threw a bag of yarn and two needles, Pliskin effortlessly plucked them both out of the air.

*OK Major, the Prez gets her card and scarf, then I'm coming for you!*

Snake grabbed the knitting pattern, stuffing it into his tight leather vest, and sauntered off to pop the kettle on…


I hate TV trailers

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

"what would be a perfectly acceptable level of violence in 'Escape from LA' would hardly be appropriate in a set of knitting instructions."

smiley - snork True!

I also can conjure up more vivid images from books than tend to be in films, unless the film leaves certain things to the imagination (eg Jurassic Park where a man was savaged in a box by a dinosaur - no blood or violence was seen, but I conjured up a memorably horrible nightmare just from the sounds... However, the 'violence' was necessary to establish the level of threat that pervaded the actions of the people.)


I hate TV trailers

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

*Expendable and the best damn knitter on the West Coast!*

smiley - snorksmiley - ok


I hate TV trailers

Post 13

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Speaking of gratuitous , Belgium is on the West Coast of Europe.


I hate TV trailers

Post 14

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

West Coast? I thought it was the Left Coast. smiley - winkeye


I hate TV trailers

Post 15

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Literally or politically?


I hate TV trailers

Post 16

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Nowadays it's both. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post