Post Quiz for Time Travellers: How to Use the Telephone in 1899
We've all been there. You just got out of your tardis, and you need to make a phone call. Unfortunately, your mobile says 'Out of Area'. Here are some handy hints from the Bell Telephone Company in 1899. See how many of these basic rules you know.
Fill in the blanks.
- Press the telephone firmly to the _____.
- Always hang up the telephone (with the ear-piece down) after finishing a conversation; otherwise, ________________________________________ and you cannot be heard.
- Operators are required to be _________ under all circumstances; please extend to them the same consideration.
- Do not use the telephone during a ______________.
- The use of ____________________ language through the telephone is forbidden.
- The use of the telephone is limited to the _____________, his ___________ or his ____________ in his interest.
- Difficulties with the service experienced by some subscribers are due to the use of __________ … and other unauthorized attachments.
- The Company [cannot] guarantee the permanency of….numbers. Subscribers are therefore advised not to ___________________.
- The tolls for all long-line conversations, by whomsoever made, will be charged to the subscriber at whose station they originate. Subscribers to protect themselves from loss must see ____________________________________________.
- The mail is quick, the telegraph is quicker, but the telephone is _________________.
The answers to this quiz are also quick. Just click below.