Post Quiz for Time Travellers: How to Use the Telephone in 1899 - Answers

0 Conversations

Post Quiz for Time Travellers: How to Use the Telephone in 1899 – Answers

These handy tips for using the telephone were found in the 1 June 1899 edition of the Gainesville, Florida telephone directory. There were three pages of telephone numbers. The number for the Odd Fellows Home was 17.

Here are the answers.

  1. Press the telephone firmly to the ear. (There was an earpiece. It hung from a hook.)
  2. Always hang up the telephone (with the ear-piece down) after finishing a conversation; otherwise, the battery will soon be exhausted and you cannot be heard. (Yep, a battery was involved, but there were no rechargers.)
  3. Operators are required to be polite under all circumstances; please extend to them the same consideration. (That's why they fired all those rude teenage boys and hired polite young women.)
  4. Do not use the telephone during a thunderstorm. (This conjures up unwanted mental pictures.)
  5. The use of profane or obscene language through the telephone is forbidden. (Even if you're talking to your bookie.)
  6. The use of the telephone is limited to the subscriber, his family or his employee in his interest. (It goes on to say, 'Instruments may be removed if this condition of the lease is disregarded.' Who knew?)
  7. Difficulties with the service experienced by some subscribers are due to the use of mouth-pieces… and other unauthorized attachments. ('Every necessary appliance being supplied by the company, subscribers are earnestly requested to refrain from the use of other apparatus.' So there.)
  8. The Company [cannot] guarantee the permanency of….numbers. Subscribers are therefore advised not to print numbers on stationery. (They're supposed to say 'Bell Telephone Connection'.)
  9. The tolls for all long-line conversations, by whomsoever made, will be charged to the subscriber at whose station they originate. Subscribers to protect themselves from loss must see that no use unauthorized by them is made of their telephone. (In other words, lock up your telephone.)
  10. The mail is quick, the telegraph is quicker, but the telephone is instantaneous. ('And you don't have to wait for an answer!')

Isn't old technology fun? To think that was just 120 years ago.

Southern Bell Logo 1899
Hello, Central, give me
the Odd Fellows.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.03.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87932299

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more