A Conversation for Another One for Suzie Q Ferguson's Bird Book

Chaffinch

Post 1

Willem

Looks to me like a chaffinch! A very pretty little bird from Europe, Asia and North Africa. Very interesting for what happened with it here in South Africa. Some English folks were trying to make South Africa more British and introduced a bunch of birds here, the Chaffinch being one. It was introduced to the Cape Town area. Well that happened over a century ago, and in the meantime … the chaffinch colony has remained in exactly the same place. Despite being able to fly, the finches never moved any further. It's the only example in South Africa of a bird species being introduced, and *neither* going extinct, *nor* flourishing so much that it expands its range into most of the country.


Chaffinch

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl It was so British, it was too polite to move.

Thank you for this information. Willem -> the opposite of Suzie Q Ferguson. smiley - winkeye


Chaffinch

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I thought it might be a goldfinch.

There was a book by that name, that was very trendy at the time. smiley - sigh

There's no similar book called the Chaffinch. I am grateful not to have to feel I need to read it.

smiley - run


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Another One for Suzie Q Ferguson's Bird Book

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more