Suzie Q Ferguson's Tips for Lazy Tour Guides: Reading It Off the Waymarker

1 Conversation

Suzie Q Ferguson's Tips for Lazy Tour Guides: Reading It Off the Waymarker

Paigetheoracle went to a place called Beccles. We received these photos and the following text:

Don't know if you can read anything on this painting, based on aerial photographs but it says that the town is Anglo-Saxon, was a seaside port and that David Frost went to school there.


The name comes from beck (stream) and leas (meadows). The former term is still used in northern England to mean the same thing but has been replaced almost everywhere else.

In the back of the Editor's mind is a stentorian German voice saying, 'David Frost? Ist das Ihnen ein Begriff?'

People were shorter then.

BecclesBecclesBeccles
General Features Archive

Paigetheoracle

12.11.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87921877

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more