A Conversation for Genius at Work: Flood Barriers

Experiments

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

We experimented with stuff like that here in the Netherlands (well not exactly the self-floating barriers you are proposing)

We have inflatable flood barriers (google "balgstuw Ramspol" if you want to get the idea)

The military also had floating barriers in the fifties/sixties, but these were to flood the land and delay the Russians. Just block your major river of choice and don't tell the civilians that live there until running is the only option left.


Experiments

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - shhh You may need those strategies yet.

Of course, here, they won't help, because the government are just going to sell it to them. smiley - run


Experiments

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Currently, getting the water out is more important I guess


Experiments

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Now, that's true, alas. smiley - sigh I hate hurricane season.


Experiments

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Yeah, I prefer sugarcane.

Best of luck.


Experiments

Post 6

Paigetheoracle

I didn't know you were Dutch? My wife has a brother living out there. Hadn't thought about the Dutch being in need of such ideas but I have an even longer post on this that I am going to try to slip past Dmitri without rewriting (watch me fail).


Experiments

Post 7

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

In a flat country, you have to make sure the water flows in the right direction. You don't want salt water from the sea flowing up your rivers.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Genius at Work: Flood Barriers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more