Chocolate beet cake

1 Conversation

"Chocolate Beet Cake"

I needed a recipe like this because of my gardening endeavors. I wanted a reliable supply of greens for consumption during the Summer, but it seemed nice to also have an end product for the Winter. Beets have delicious greens, and so-so roots. The lightbulb went on in my head when I conceived of combining a supply of beets with a taste for chocolate cake. Magically, it worked! I usually find ways of making a cake sweet by using fruit instead of sugar. I always use whole wheat flour. The recipe might work okay with white flour instead.

DRY INGREDIENTS

1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 or 4 tbsps of cocoa powder
3 or 4 tbsps of chocolate bits
1 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour [or about 350 milliliters]
3 tsps of nuts [almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.] ground in a blender with the rolled oats
2 tbsps of rolled oats
2 tsps of baking powder
3 tsps of powdered milk
1/2 cup of raisins

WET INGREDIENTS

1 cup of water [or 236 milliliters]
1 tsp of vanilla
2 peeled apples, diced [minus cores]
1 or 2 raw beets, peeled and diced

INSTRUCTIONS

Add the cinnamon to the other dry ingredients and mix thoroughly

Put the water in a blender. Add the vanilla. Dice one of the apples, add to blender, and puree it. Then dice the second apple, add, and puree. Then dice the beet(s), add, and puree.

Finally, pour the resulting liquid from the blender into the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with the dry ingredients. Put the resulting batter into an oiled baking pan (4" X 8"], put the pan in the oven, and bake for an hour at 350 degrees.




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87912912

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more