A Conversation for Art History 101: Stuck in the Middle Ages

Stuck in the Middle Ages

Post 1

bobstafford

Middle Ages thats 5th to the 15th century if that is right its probably late middle.

This immage appears to have a little artistic licence about it with some odd features.
The boots indicate light cavelary the spurs would be not be use on a heavy horse, they would ahve had bog spiked wheeles. The thigh armour goes up under a mail skirt and supported by a leather belt. The top of the leg armour normaly protected the riders breeches, so calls of nature would be no problem as access would be no problem.

The armour over the thighs are normal fittings, as are the armour on the arms. The body armour has a quilted cloth cover over the sholders the idea was to protect the upper body from the sun, possably indicating mid European equipment.

What is very odd are the chains on the sword and dagger. The chains are heavy enough to pull a 4X4 out of a bog.
The weight of the chians would make the wepons hard to use, and if dropped they would allow foot soldierss to pull the rider out of the saddle. The helmet is prfectly adaquate for the job if a little out of fasion by the late middle ages.
The gauntlets are light and would indicate the saddle would probably have 2 pistol holsters.

I am probably way off but it will be interesting to find out smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Stuck in the Middle Ages

More Conversations for Art History 101: Stuck in the Middle Ages

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more