A Conversation for Khyber's Kilts and Bristols: Sex, Sexism and Stereotyped Women in the 'Carry On' Films

Carry on films

Post 1

bobstafford

First thing is to say that this is an excellent piece of work, and surprisingly interesting. Well done.

This series of films was regarded as jolly good fun at the time and as a result very Succesful.
Nobody regarded these as either pornography or offensive in any way.
People just joined in and regarded them a national institution.

In the opinion of most people, it was harmless fun, and there was a very little problem for underage viewers getting in the cinema.

These films represent the norm of the era, where today public has opinion has changed, or more likely that today's "politically correct" views are paid only lip only service but ignored by the majority of the adult population!

Have things changed? yes, a little but Sexism and Stereotyping are still alive and well, and is just presented in a different way. Now, this sort of material is ignored by a majority of the population. Also now access to this material appears to be easier than ever.


Carry on films

Post 2

Bluebottle

Glad you enjoyed reading this - I didn't know how well it would work as an entry but wanted to find something new to say about a well-loved film series. I agree the films are harmless entertainment.

While yes, in some ways the series has dated, but it is going to be 60 years old this year, so it would, wouldn't it?

But the jokes are still funny, and that's what's important.

<BB<


Carry on films

Post 3

bobstafford

Agreed after 60 years that should make them qualify as an historical social document.

It's hard to imagine that after all that time they represent anything more than entertainment their creators intended.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more