A Conversation for Amy P's 2017 NaJoPoMo

Amy P's 2017 NaJoPoMo Day 24

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Z and I had breakfast at the hotel in Carrbridge, and had an early start. We made our way to the shore of Loch Ness for some water level photos, and then made our way to Drumnadrochit. There is a very impressive souvenir shop there, with everything from the cheapest of tourist tat to high end jewelry. We also considered going to Urquhart Castle, but then realized that we had a lot of driving to do that day (did overlook the castle, though).

Much of the day was scenery gazing (for me) and driving (for Z), as well as all the talking you'd expect from an extrovert and a willing-to-talk introvert who had known each other for well over a decade. We were making our way across the lower Highlands, and went through Argyle, stopping for a pit stop at Loch Melfort.

(I may or may not be typing distracted, because we may or may not have a house full of 14-year-old girls...)

The non-city destination of the day was Kilmartin Glen, with a large variety and number of prehistoric stone monuments. There are barrow mounds, standing stones, and stone circles (also stone fences all over, so it's rather impressive that there is anything left). We had a late lunch, went through the museum (where there was an infographic that Z fell in love with), and tried to find the entrance to the monuments. We ended up going over a fallen fence and down a steep muddy slope (following in the footsteps of many other people, as it was an actual path, even if not an official one). As usual, I had my good camera hanging around my neck, and my phones in my pocket. Unlike usual, I decided to leave the camera bag in the car instead of also hanging it around my neck--I'd found, back in London, that I could put the camera into the inside pocket of my jacket if it started raining. So of course my batteries died about halfway through the walk. Behind some of the stone fences was a magnificent gray horse. I pent some tie, surrounded by Neolithic monuments, staring at that horse, and getting it to come near. I did actually get to reach up to pet a velvet nose at one point, before the horse charged off yet again to call to another herd.

While we were at Kilmartin, neither Z nor I had been paying attention to the time. By the time we left, 'twas the time we'd said we were going to meet minichessemouse in Glasgow--and Glasgow was still 3 hours away. We let min know just how late we were running, and off we went. She was already ensconced in the pub we'd be meeting her in, and we got amusing texts occasionally, at least until her phone died.

The drive to Glasgow was scenic but uneventful (more talking). When we reached the Glasgow's city center, we started looking for parking as close to the pub as we could. Then we started looking a bit farther afield. Finally Z and I agreed that I'd go in and find min, while he continued to look for somewhere to park. I hadn't even considered the fact that it was now 7:30ish on a Friday in a good-sized city. The Counting House is quite large, and has several rooms, some with doors, but most just with doorways--not a layout that makes finding someone simple in the best of conditions. The pub was packed. The pub was loud. Packed and loud enough that I was a bit overstimulated, and had to fight against shutting down. I did finally find a staff member that wasn't behind the bar to ask for help.

"Have you seen a blonde blind woman?"

"With flowers in her hair?"

"Probably..."

And so she led me to where min was sitting--sensibly by a large window near one of the entrances--just not the entrance I'd used (indeed, until I saw the nice big door, I thought she was tucked away, albeit by a window). Shortly thereafter, Z joined us, and it was off for food (seriously, it was louder than the Pizza Express after the British Library). After chinese food, we started back to Edinburgh--min was coming along to stay on the couch I had had, while I was going to get the room that Guest had had. If Z and I hadn't've been running late, there would've been a bus tour of Glasgow taken, but the tour had stopped running for the day about an hour before we got there, so all I've really seen of Glasgow is George Squaresmiley - shrug

It was late enough, cloudy enough, and we were far south enough that it was getting dark as we passed the Kelpies on the motorway, so I got to see them lit up from within. We had the view long enough that I got to see some of the color change, but pics taken from a moving car are seldom satisfying, so I didn't bother. Not too long after, we arrived at the zens', had a snack, and settled in for the night.


Amy P's 2017 NaJoPoMo Day 24

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

That was a day of contrasts for you indeed - impressive scenery followed by city centre nightlife! I know what you mean about being so overstimulated you start to shut down... Glad you found minichessemouse and were able to spend a good amount of time with her smiley - biggrin


Amy P's 2017 NaJoPoMo Day 24

Post 3

z

Realistically I was being silly thinking we could do Glasgow, Kilmartin Glen and Loch Ness in one day. We did try though.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more