A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife Special: Winter Gardening in Polokwane

Bird feeders

Post 1

ITIWBS

A fascinating selection of aloes, not available in the the local nurseries and I wish I had every one of them, much fabored as aloes generally are by the half dozen local hummingbird species.

On the bird of paradise plant, one of my cousins once teased one into fruiting in her garden.

It made a small cluster of miniature bananas about 3 cm long by about 4 mm in diameter.

My sister's dwarf banana (a green house plant) is much favored by the local hummingbirds which come to feast on the waxy, tubular 2.5 cm flowers it produces on its inflorescenses, the hummingbirds abandoning their usual territorial combativeness on account of the sheer abundance.


Bird feeders

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Lovely plants, Willem. Thanks for the information on figs, there has been some speculation that figs have been responsible for increases in human brain development, sorry that that particular one is not as tasty as it looks but what symbiosis!

I love the lily.


Bird feeders

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - musicalnote'Willem sits in a baobab tree,
Painting all the monkeys he can see...'smiley - musicalnote

And in between, we get all these gorgeous flowers! Long may your garden grow! smiley - biggrin


Bird feeders

Post 4

Willem

Hi folks, thanks for the kind comments! ITIWBS, my bird-of-paradise plants are making lots of fruits here ... I'll see if I can get a photo or two of them and link. Glad to hear the hummingbirds are appreciating the aloes and dwarf banana!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife Special: Winter Gardening in Polokwane

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more