The Fallen Giant

0 Conversations

Do you wax poetic about trees?

The Fallen Giant

Ed. Note: A Mr Andrew Park of California wrote the following in the California Independent of 13 February 1913. This lyrical description of a fallen sequoia was planted smack in the middle of an appreciation of the late Abraham Lincoln. People say the funniest things. We thought you might enjoy it.

A fallen sequoia

The people of this nation – especially the Southland – could not understand him [Lincoln] – the magnitude of his character – until he had fallen. Then we said, with Israel of old, "Behold, a tree in Lebanon has fallen!" Ah, such is frail humanity. We cannot
measure a tree as it stands1. Only its prostrate form. I once visited the "Giant Forest" in the heart of the Sierras. I looked up – and up – three hundred feet high and saw their topmost boughs mingling their evergreen foliage with the blue dome of the skies. I stepped the circumference at the base of one of the Giants and the verified figures said; "One hundred feet2." I had come and I had seen with mine eyes3, but I could not comprehend. As I stood, silent, awe-enwrapped4, in the presence of these masterpieces of the Eternal God, my attention was directed to "The Fallen Giant," biggest and oldest of all, where a company of hilarious men5, mounted on horses, were riding upright along the hallway of its great interior, one hundred feet, and out at a doorway made by the severing of one of its arms. I stood with bared head, sombrero in hand6, as I reverently surveyed its prostrate form. For four thousand years it had withstood the storms of the Sierras, each driving its radicals deeper into the granitic mountain7. It was a forest tree one hundred feet high when Moses wrote, "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth." For many seasons the autumnal fires had eaten at its heart and carved the great sym[m]etrical hallway; to which we have referred. During its reign of forty centuries as "King of the Forest" the angry heavens had hurled a thousand bolts of lightning against its stalwart form8. In the strength of its young manhood9 the Sierras grated and groaned in mourning at the tragic death of their Maker10. Its adversity was its strength. Glacier and snow its constant companions. Its food the granite of the mountains. Its messengers the flashing lightnings, the pealing thunders, the trembling, grating, undulating, rumbling earthquake. But the climax of its greatness, the consum[m]ation of its majesty, was its fall.

Such was the life, the labors, the death of the immortal Lincoln.

Ed.Note: We're not sure what Lincoln would have made of this panegyric11. He might have chuckled. But think about it: when was the last time you heard anybody get that worked up about a tree? In this age of environmental crisis, maybe we need to recover some of that sense of awe.

We can do without the hilarious horsemen, though.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

21.08.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Unless you're a physics or maths teacher. Then you use it as a Teachable Moment.2Did he use a pedometer? They were all the rage.3The glory. . . oh, stop that.4Be wrapped in awe. Visit a national park!5Why they were hilarious is not known. Maybe they were singing 'John Brown's Body'.6California was always a fashion-forward place.7As much as the government hate radicals, let us point out that he meant 'roots'.8We have no information as to the origin of this feud.9Quick question from a biology student: was this a male tree? Aha! Research (Google) indicates that they carry both male and female cones on the same tree. Gack! Hermaphroditic trees! Don't look!10Is this writer referring to the Crucifixion? If so, 42 Protestant theologians just howled in fury. (And Slavoj Zizek cheered.)11Oh, look it up, lazy.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87893617

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more