h2g2 Literary Corner: Boy Scout War on Banana Peels

0 Conversations

What's the opposite of devilish behaviour? Why, being a Boy Scout, of course.

Boy Scout War on Banana Peels

A Boy Scout giving the alert that he has located a dangerous banana peel, 1911

This extract is from the 1911 Boy Scout Handbook, available to us courtesy of Project Gutenberg.

Editor's Note: Banana peels were a recent urban hazard, due to globalisation, politics, and the nefarious activities of Sam the Banana Man Zemurray, the government-toppling entrepreneur who also gave us the term 'banana republic'.

Chivalry

Then too, a good scout must be chivalrous. That is, he should be as manly as the knights or pioneers of old. He should be unselfish. He should show courage. He must do his duty. He should show benevolence and thrift. He should be loyal to his country. He should be obedient to his parents, and show respect to those who are his superiors. He should be very courteous to women. One of his obligations is to do a good turn every day to some one. He should be cheerful and seek self-improvement, and should make a career for himself.

All these things were characteristics of the old-time American scouts and of the King Arthur knights1. Their honor was sacred. They were courteous and polite to women and children, especially to the aged, protected the weak, and helped others to live better. They taught themselves to be strong, so as to be able to protect their country against enemies.2 They kept themselves strong and healthy, so that they might be prepared to do all of these things at a moment's notice, and do them well.

So the boy scout of to-day must be chivalrous, manly, and gentlemanly.

When he gets up in the morning he may tie a knot in his necktie, and leave the necktie outside his vest until he has done a good turn. Another way to remind himself is to wear his scout badge reversed until he has done his good turn. The good turn may not be a very big thing – help an old lady across the street3; remove a banana skin from the pavement so that people may not fall; remove from streets or roads broken glass, dangerous to automobile or bicycle tires; give water to a thirsty horse4; or deeds similar to these.

The scout also ought to know how to save life. He ought to be able to make a stretcher; to throw a rope to a drowning person; to drag an unconscious person from a burning building, and to resuscitate a person overcome by gas fumes5. He ought also to know the method of stopping runaway horses6, and he should have the presence of mind and the skill to calm a panic7 and deal with street and other accidents.

Editor's Note: We're impressed. Boy Scouts in 1911 must have been amazingly talented.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

10.04.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Who made good careers for themselves in the dragon-slaying business.2Especially those dragons.3Old men can fend for themselves, apparently.4The horses appreciated.5Another common problem of the day, no doubt.6This is an impressive ability. How many of us could manage it?7'Stay calm, people! There's another election in four years!'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87887272

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more