The h2g2 Literary Corner: Food in the Good Old Summertime

0 Conversations

Food for freedom.

Food in the Good Old Summertime

A state-of-the-art fridge in 1940.

U. S. Departnent of Agriculture

This comes with a note, which we pass on to you: Historic, Archive Document. Do not assume content reflects current scientific knowledge, policies, or practices.

You have been told.

Broadcast by Ruth Van Deman, Bureau of Human Nutrition and Home Economics, and
Wallace Kadderly, Radio Service, in the Department of Agriculture's portion of the National Farm and Home Hour, Monday, July 12, 1943, over stations associated with the Blue Network1.

WALLACE KADDERLY: We next have some facts on food in the good old summertime,
as told by Ruth Van Deman.

RUTH VAN DEMAN: And Wallace Kadderly, Don't edge away from the microphone, Wallace, we need a man's point of view2 on this. Especially since we're going to come at this summer food question by way of two big pieces of kitchen equipment ... the cookstove3 and the refrigerator.

KADDERLY: Some like it hot .... some like it cold.

VAN DEMAN: Well said, Mr Kadderly. That's a way to keep a lot of food from spoiling and wasting in warm weather. To cook it while it's fresh, serve it while it's hot. Or chill it quickly and keep it cold 'till you're ready to eat it. The trouble generally starts when food's in that in-hetween state4.

That's when bacteria thrive when food stays lukewarm, or when the weather's hot and the temperature runs up into the 80s and 90s, or more5. Then's the time when good kitchen equipment is needed to help keep food waste down6.

KADDERLY: So You're reminding us to take care of our equipment and it will help
us to take care of our food7.

VAN DEMAN: Very neatly put, Wallace. Score 2 for you8.

KADDERLY: The coming rationing of cookstoves9 perhaps makes us more conscious of the need to take care of what we have. The Office of Price Administration has announced that come mid-August all new stoves for cooking and heating will be rationed.

VAN DEMAN: In other words, you can't buy a new stove unless you first get a purchase certificate from your local war price and rationing board10. And that will be true of both gas and electric stoves?

KADDERLY: All kinds, as I understand it.

VAN DEMAN: I think you've seen this folder. Wallace, this one on 'How to Make
Your Gas or Electric Range Last Longer11.'

KADDERLY: Yes, very good and very helpful. I like the diagrams showing the different parts of the range12 and telling how best to keep them clean and in good working order. The modem gas or electric range isn't a simple affair like a cast-iron wood or coal stove13.

VAN DEMAN: You're right, it isn't. The modern cooking range with its temperature controls, its beautiful shiny enamel surfaces14, its insulated oven, its fuel conserving cooking units, commands respect15 and good care. It will do a wonderful job of cooking if it's treated right16. In this folder we've listed the main points to watch if you have a gas range, or if you have an electric range.

KADDERLY: And in a few minutes we'll tell our Farm and Home friends how to
get a copy of this folder on the care of cooking ranges.

VAN DEMAN: Along with that, I suggest this as a companion piece on the side
of keeping food cold.

KADDERLY: 'How to Make Your Refrigerator Last Longer.' Yes, this is another one packed full of practical information and with a good, clear diagram to show the strategic spots a person needs to watch in using a refrigerator17.

VAN DEMAN: And keeping it clean and conserving the cold. Here are just a few
pointers in that direction:

Open the refrigerator door as few times as possible. Each time you open it warm air rushes in18 and sends the temperature up. Get as many things together as possible and put them in the refrigerator at one time. Shut the door quickly19.

Freeze no more ice cubes than you actually need and don't waste ice20.

Don't cool foods not in need of it, such as pickles21 or jelly. Certain fats keep just as well at room temperature. Heavy store wrappings and vegetable tops you' re not going to eat have no business in the refrigerator. Nor have over-size containers. Use those that fit things you have to store. Let hot food cool before you put it in the refrigerator.

KADDERLY: Did you say 'a few pointers', Ruth22?

VAN DEMAN: There's a lot more I might say. But one thing I'm not going to skip is a credit line to Lenore Sater, the head of the Household Equipment laboratory in the Beltsville Research Center, She's the authority behind all this series of how-to-do-it folders on care of home equipment. Her name doesn't appear, but neither does the name of the person who did the writing
or made those good clear drawings that please you so much, Wallace23.

KADDERLY: Complete anonymity.

VAN DEMAN: U.S. Government is big enough name to cover us all24.

KADDERLY: But you'll need more that that, Farm and Home friends, if you're
writing for one or both of these leaflets on care of household equipment. Address your card to Home Economics, U. S, Department of Agriculture, Washington 2525, D. C.

One folder tells how to make your gas or electric range last longer. The other does the same for your refrigerator.

And now let's see what's doing in the markets.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

13.06.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Yes, there was also a Red Network. No, they were not Communists.2Note to time travellers: In 1943, evidently, men were considered incapable of cooking or otherwise preparing food. Without the help of women, they would have starved.3Cookstove: archaic term for 'stove'.4Like civilisation itself in 1943.5Fahrenheit. She means the high 20s or 30s.6So you can keep your food down. Bacteria are nasty.7This announcer has a gift for stating the obvious. In fact, that's his job.8Yes, he seems quite bright, for a male. Ms Van Deman is surprised.9World War II is going on. Kadderly is probably grateful that, although the women won't let him in the kitchen without written permission from his wife, he's at least unlikely to be drafted into the military. Where they'd probably make him peel potatoes. (The Army had fewer illusions about the food preparation talents of men, or else didn't care what they ate.)10You probably have to tell them a sad tale about what happened to the last 'cookstove'. It had better involve explosions, and possibly Enemy Action.11They went all out in World War II, throwing Education at everything.12Especially helpful for mere males. Note the parts marked 'burner', Kadderly.13No. It's really high-tech. Practically space-age. Your simple 20th-century mind can scarcely grasp its intricacies. Now, a test for the 21st Century: Could you cook on a cast-iron stove? Would you know how long it took to bake a cake, or how to clean it? Don't be so smug, computer chipheads.14People in the mid-20th Century were easily entertained. Which may explain Bing Crosby.15Like General Eisenhower.16Speak nicely to it, and often.17I always keep an eye on the part with the ice cream in.18This is scientifically accurate, and amazing. Most people insist the cold air gets out.19And don't alarm the gremlins in there. And never feed them after midnight.20Actually, the point of this escapes us. Does the fridge work harder making ice?21What? Pickles don't need refrigeration? Now she tells me.22Oh, Kadderly, you're so witty.23Their goal in life: to please Wallace Kadderly.24Anonymous government workers are influencing your lifestyle. Oh, well. Nothing changes, really.25Zipcodes were shorter then. Seriously.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87873592

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more