The h2g2 Post 08.12.14

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 8th December 2014

Stars in Our Eyes

Van Gogh's Starry Night in Venice, California. You recognize this painting, right? It's van Gogh's Starry Night. Beautiful, strange, evocative in the best sense of the word. Does it surprise you to find out that this version of it is a tribute mural located in southern California? Of course not: this is the h2g2 Post, home of the unusual, intriguing, and stimulating. We thrive on discoveries of this nature.

Speaking of nature, we've got it aplenty this week. Willem's been gardening, because it's spring where he is, the lucky man, and the South African flora are, as usual, just amazing. Enjoy his double essay, and get a break from the stormy weather outside your window. Our wildlife artist is also sharing some fantastic images and entertaining stories about the puff adder. Be warned, oh, ye fainthearted: here be snakes, and some of the stories may be scary.

Now that we mention scary stories, it is December, time for the Brits to tell 'em. We've got another reading tip for you in that area. While researching it, your Editor stumbled across a fascinating bit of sci-fi history: a US professor, Dorothy Scarborough, who pioneered sci-fi criticism in the early years of the 20th Century. You have to see this: it's a true find for science fiction fans.

Awix has been brave again, and is reviewing Horrible Bosses 2. Stop by and thank him. Ben checks in before checking out for some much-needed shuteye (send get well wishes), and we remind you to keep working on Create's December challenge. Get your space stories in. We'll also quiz you about food, always a favourite subject around here, and make you chuckle, we hope.

This week, don't let the shopping crowds get you down. Keep writing, keep warm if you're in the northern hemisphere, and enjoy the garden if you're down south. Have a good week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

LIVE SNAKES
  • Puff Adder by Willem.
  • Puff Adder in bucket.


LIVE ACTION

GROWING THINGS

  • Adenium multiflorum.
  • Sesame bush.

GROWING IDEAS

FLYING OBJECTS
  • An elegant 1890s UFO.
  • The mice are in charge of the experiment, you know.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87844387

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more