A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife: Giant Eagle Owl

What is the purpose of the feathers around the beak?

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

They seem like a rather striking feature and I wonder if you knew offhand?

In a less exotic species there was this in 'Scientific American'

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/14/canine_geniuses_why_some_animals_are_much_smarter_than_we_think_partner/?source=newsletter


I think it shows the problem with our assumptions and possibly labels.


What is the purpose of the feathers around the beak?

Post 2

Willem

Hi Elektra! Those bristles around the bill are probably protective, protecting the eyes while it feeds, and also might have a sensory function, like the whiskers of a dog or a cat.

Thanks for that about abstract thinking in animals! Now I also again wonder if we're looking for this in animals, whether indeed we will find it in all humans? I think some humans might not be very good at it! Some animals might be better than some humans. Also a thing I often wonder about: when we look at humans, there is a vast diversity of 'abilities' meaning in some areas some individuals can be FAR better than others or the average. Now I often wonder if there do not exist a small minority of animals, in every species that is large enough, with mental abilities far ahead of the average of their species - animal geniuses, so to speak.


What is the purpose of the feathers around the beak?

Post 3

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

That may very well be, Willem. I thought you might find that interesting. I just thought that dogs recognized each others through their keen sense of smell---that they can do it visually is pretty astounding considering how varied the breeds seems to humans.


What is the purpose of the feathers around the beak?

Post 4

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Oh, for funny animal human interactions, check out this cat's first encounter with a baby!

https://shine.yahoo.com/author-blog-posts/cat-meets-first-baby-180600995.html

Very cautious. Not a problem now but look out when the kid is a toddler! Then start climbing on the counters and tabletops!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife: Giant Eagle Owl

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more