A Conversation for Witters from Down Under: Earthquake Update

Gracious, I'd be outraged as well.

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Doesn't the gov't get any taxes from inhabitants? This is really disgraceful in what I thought was a developed country. Haiti is one thing but I would have thought that there was more reason and thought to be had in New Zealand.

On the other hand I am very grateful to be in a fairly non-seismic area as the little earth tremblors I experienced in Greece were quite enough for me. I like to count on the ground staying still, especially as I am getting older and more prone to falling now than when I was younger.


Gracious, I'd be outraged as well.

Post 2

frenchbean

Yes we do pay taxes. But only 4.5 million people populate NZ. And the rebuild costs are estimated at $40bn ... so the sums are pretty awful smiley - headhurts


Gracious, I'd be outraged as well.

Post 3

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Hmm, I didn't realize that there were so few people. That does make it rough. In this country it would be the case that there was corruption involved --that doesn't sound the case there.But with such substandard housing there is probably a lot of future potential being drained---camping is fun for a while but gets to be a drudge when it goes on too long. I worry about all the children trying to keep up with schoolwork in a garage. Good luck getting some better politicians!


Gracious, I'd be outraged as well.

Post 4

frenchbean

We don't have corruption much, but we do seem to have mistakes made in the haste of trying to do just something.

To add to the misery, there were floods 8 days ago and more significant rain forecast this weekend as a Tropical Cyclone deteriorates over NZ smiley - sadface

Poor Chchch.

Fb


Gracious, I'd be outraged as well.

Post 5

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

That is awful! As if those people haven't been through enough.smiley - cry


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Witters from Down Under: Earthquake Update

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more