2013 Carol Round-Up: The Boar's Head Carol

1 Conversation

Name your favourite Christmas carol.

The Boar's Head Carol

The Boar's Head Carol
The boar's head, I understand

Is the rarest dish in all the land.

Which thus bedeck'd with a gay garland

Let us
servire cantico1.

Caput apri defero,

Reddens laudes Domino!2

As everyone knows, Christmas has little or nothing to do with such a recent religion as Christianity. The Boar's Head Carol is a good example of this. Sacrificing boar in the winter goes back to those pagan Anglo-Saxons. And we shouldn't take the 'sacrifice' part too seriously. Any excuse would do for a bit of barbecue in mid-winter.

Another story about this carol is the one about the Oxford scholar who ran into a wild boar in the woods. Allegedly, he shoved a volume of Aristotle down its throat and choked the ravenous beast. The boar wouldn't have been the first to choke on Aristotle. Want the tune? Be our guest.

Oh, and that stuff's called 'macaronic verse'. It just means it's in two languages.

What's your favourite carol, pagan or otherwise? Want to share?

General Features Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.12.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Serve singing.2I bring the boar's head, proclaiming praise to the Lord!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87817080

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more