A Conversation for I Couldn't Care Less: Bitter Memories

Patient

Post 1

Websailor

You are amazing. That is horribly difficult to do and she is SO lucky to have you to talk to. Such dreams and memories haunt a friend of mine but he has no-one to tell at that hour, at least who would listen, except me many hours after, and it troubles him greatly. The are all jumbled up so often don't make much sense either.

smiley - hug

Websailor smiley - dragon


Patient

Post 2

benjaminpmoore

Sometimes they need unjumbling, sometimes the best you could do is listen and help the memories come out. Maybe your friend might try writing stuff down when he remembers it?


Patient

Post 3

Websailor

He struggles a great deal to write and put things in to words, psychologists have tried that with him but he just clams up. I got him to email me stuff he couldn't speak about and not having to confront someone seems to have helped him over the last seven years to unburden himself. We always discuss and rationalise afterwards. Sadly too much medication too soon and for too long hasn't helped the nightmares.

Hang in there you are doing a great job smiley - hug

Websailor smiley - dragon


Patient

Post 4

benjaminpmoore

Thanks, I appreciate your support.

Of the survivors I know, many have never confronted their abusers or told their family so that doesn't surprise me. Has he tried drawings? Does he refuse to speak about it or is he unable to remember?


Patient

Post 5

Websailor

It wasn't the level of abuse you are thinking about but as a young child prolonged bullying and stuff by children, and later adults, which he could not tell anyone about has had a long term effect, though I think speaking about it to me has helped enormously. It has taken a very long time but some things are ongoing but there is progress.

Emotional abuse is very much harder to prove than physical unfortunately.

I do not want to say any more which might identify him.

Websailor smiley - dragon


Patient

Post 6

benjaminpmoore

Of course not, I understand. I have no wish to pry. Most abuse is psychological in the end and it can all be damaging, even if you think of abuse as being more or less severe. Sadly proof of abuse is something that elludes pretty much everyone I know and makes coming to terms with their experiences a more realistic goal than achieving justice for them.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for I Couldn't Care Less: Bitter Memories

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more