A Conversation for The h2g2 Post 08.04.13

Dividing the Newspaper

Post 1

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

What memories!

I remember my brother and I having many a fight over who got the Sunday comics!

To share a fun story, back when we lived on the sail boat we invited another couple, with their young daughter to go sailing for the weekend. We anchored for the night in a small bay, I don't remember exactly where. Anyway on Sunday morning I rowed the dinghy ashore and bought the local paper.

When I got back we divided the paper, and I, as captain, and the one who had done all the work, claimed the colour comics for myself. The girl immediately sidled up next to me and shyly asked if I would read them to her.
As I began her father immediately took the sports section and sat at the end of the bowsprit, the pole that stuck out from the front on the boat and the furthest distance away from us without swimming!

I don't want my comics spoiled. he said!

When I was finished he came back to the cockpit and we all had a pleasant Sunday morning before our sail home.

F smiley - dolphin S


Dividing the Newspaper

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork Now, THAT'S a comics fan. What a story!


Dividing the Newspaper

Post 3

cactuscafe

Yay, great story, FS!

Ah yes, newspapers, they seemed like the centre of the universe at the family breakfast table. Let's see, what can I remember, smiley - rofl, not much, except reading Shultz's Peanuts cartoon strip in the Daily Mail, with my Dad. smiley - rofl. My Dad loved Snoopy. Later we graduated to Graham's Fred Basset cartoon. smiley - rofl. Now, with the marvel of internet, I must find out about Schultz and Graham.

Good idea, the Post newspaper, something for everyone, although it's hard to please all the people sometimes. It was always an honour for me to contribute to The Post smiley - thepost, and I'd like to acknowledge the hard work that all the Eds and their teams have done, over the years.

I'm a fan, though, of those crazy Post chapter headings. smiley - rofl. I liked to string them together and make surreal poems. smiley - rofl.

I never could figure out negative criticism if it isn't constructive, although everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. It's just that I was taught to offer an alternative, a suggestion, a contribution, to follow a whinge, but that's more in a living with others community context, I don't know about papers. And anyway I'm old fashioned. smiley - seniorsmiley - rofl.

I don't read many newspapers these days, I prefer music mags.

I'm sure there's many a cynic who would slam Snoopy or Fred Basset, but I don't care. smiley - rofl. I'd like to see them create better. smiley - rofl

And long live smiley - thepost!!!!


Dividing the Newspaper

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Whew - that was amazing, CC. smiley - hug Thanks!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The h2g2 Post 08.04.13

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more