Pop Hits of the 1960s: Answers

1 Conversation

How well did you know the musical 60s? Here are the lyrics, titles, and groups.

Pop Hits of the 1960s: Answers

British and Commonwealth Version: Complete the lyric.

George Harrison

  1. 'there is a barber with a photograph of every. . . head he's had the pleasure to know.' The Beatles, 'Penny Lane', 1967. Penny Lane's in Liverpool, but you knew that, you clever Brit.
  2. 'but how do you thank someone who has taken you. . . from crayons to perfume?'
    Lulu sang this in 'To Sir with Love', for the 1967 drama about an influential teacher.
  3. 'Just listen to the rhythm of the traffic in the city,

    linger on the sidewalk where. . . the neon lights are pretty'. Petula Clark knew all about 'Downtown' in 1965.
  4. 'Electrical. . . banana is gonna be a sudden craze.' Donovan sang it in 'Mellow Yellow', 1966. The fact that people hippies in the US started trying to smoke banana peelings right after that was an unintended consequence. Really.
  5. 'I'm leaning on . . . a lamppost at the corner of the street in case a certain little lady comes by.' Herman's Hermits were on the prowl in 'Leaning on a Lamppost', 1965. (And yes, Awix, we know George Formby sang it earlier. Probably with a ukulele.)
  6. 'And so before they come. . . to break down the door, forgive me, Delilah, I just couldn't take any more.' Tom Jones may not have won Eurovision in 2012, but he won our hearts in 1965 with 'Delilah'.
  7. 'Mrs Brown, you've got a lovely. . . daughter'. Herman's Hermits again, from 1965. Yeah, we know Tom Courtenay sang it first, in a film called The Lads (1963). Worse still, Alvin and the Chipmunks had a go at it. It was as bad as you imagine.
  8. 'Bus stop, bus goes, she stays, love grows. . . under my umbrella'. The Hollies celebrated wet romance in 1965 with 'Bus Stop'.
  9. 'You don't have to say you love me, just. . .be close at hand '. We're thinking of the 1966 Dusty Springfield version, but you might like Elvis or Tom Jones. (Just be quiet about it.) Dusty got an OBE, who knew?
  10. 'Why do all the boys just pass you by?

    Could it be you just don't try, or is it. . . the clothes you wear?' Hey, there, 'Georgy Girl'. Incredibly, this shallow, lookist song was a big hit for The Seekers in 1966, and a theme for the movie starring Lynn Redgrave.

A note for those born AFTER 1970: do you have the sinking feeling your parents were even weirder than you first supposed?

And now for the North Americans:

Napoleon's famous hat

  1. 'I went to a dance the other night, I saw a girl there, she was. . . out of sight'. This piece of illogic was very popular as sung by Tommy Roe in 'Sweet Pea'.
  2. 'Who's reaching out to capture a moment? Everyone knows it's. . . Windy'. At least, The Association knew in 1966. Windy had stormy eyes that flashed at the sound of lies. . . okay, you had to be there.
  3. 'Up, up, and away, in. . . .my beautiful, my beautiful balloon'. The group was called The Fifth Dimension, and they sang 'Up, Up and Away' beautifully in 1967.
  4. 'And the streets are paved with passersby

    Pigeons fly. . . and papers lie, waiting to blow away. That's what Joni Mitchell said happened on a 'Chelsea Morning', back in 1969. This Chelsea was a part of New York City.
  5. 'Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,

    Next stop is. . .Vietnam. ' In 1965, Country Joe McDonald brought out the 'I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag' to express his feelings about the Vietnam War.
  6. 'Fighting soldiers from the sky,

    Fearless men who.. . jump and die.' It's only fair to point out that not everybody supported the anti-war movement. Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler, while recovering from wounds sustained in Vietnam, penned the lyrics to 'The Ballad of the Green Berets' in 1966. The song, which was a hit in the US, ends with a young war widow wishing the same fate on her young son as had befallen his father. Listen to this one, then go put on Phil Ochs' 'Universal Soldier'. Or 'I Ain't Marchin' Any More'. Or, well, anything by Phil Ochs.
  7. Like a poem poorly written

    We are verses out of rhythm,

    . . . . . . Couplets out of rhyme. . .' Yes, in syncopated time. That's all in Simon & Garfunkel's 'Dangling Conversation'. The borders of our lives. . .
  8. 'And I'll be happy to see those nice young men in. . . their clean white coats'. In 1966, when Napoleon XIV chanted this ditty, you rolled on the floor. It's called 'They're Coming to Take Me Away'.
  9. 'Jesus was a sailor when. . . .He walked upon the water. ' So sang Canada's great poet, Leonard Cohen, in 1967. He's still singing it, hallelujah, and dancing us to the rhythm of his burning violin.
  10. 'You can't jump a. . .jet plane like you can a freight train '. So Canadian singer Gordon Lightfoot was on his way in 1966, 'In the Early Morning Rain'.

We hope you enjoyed the musical timeslip here. If you did, urge your friends to try it. (Laugh when they don't know the answers.)

Peace!

Faces of the 1960s - The graphic shows (from the top, left to right) actor Peter Fonda from the film Easy Rider, American President John F Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr, captain of England's 1966 World Cup football squad Bobby Moore, fashion model Twiggy, actress Julie Christie, British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, Beatle George Harrison and Rock god Jimi Hendrix.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.06.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87762063

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more