The Post Famous Redheads Quiz: Answers

1 Conversation

How did your knowledge of redheads stack up?

The Post Famous Redheads Quiz: Answers

Brian Boru

1. What famous British queen alarmed her enemies with her loud voice and striking red hair?

Boudicca. (Also spelled 'Boadicea', 'Buidica', and about any other way you can come up with.) According to ancient sources, the lady was tall, had a piercing voice, and long, red hair. The Romans were scared of her.

2. How unusual was it for English monarchs to have red hair?

Not at all. Besides Buidy-what'shername, there were a lot of rulers of the Sceptred Isle with fiery locks: Legend has it that King Arthur had red hair. Historically, there are lots of royal redheads in the English line, starting with William the Conqueror. There were also William Rufus (er, 'Rufus' means 'red'), Richard the Lionheart, Henry II, pretty much all of the Tudors, and Queen Victoria. There's also Prince Harry. Mary, Queen of Scots had red hair, which isn't too surprising, as Scotland has the highest percentage of redheads in the world – 13%. Oh, anti-monarchists, rejoice: Oliver Cromwell had red hair, as well. Other great British leaders? How about Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher?

John F Kennedy and an American flag.

3. What about US Presidents? Any redheads in the group?

Sure. Start with Thomas Jefferson. The former Colonies claim a number of presidents with coppery locks: Jefferson, Jackson, US Grant, Rutherford B Hayes, Silent Cal Coolidge, John F Kennedy, Dwight D Eisenhower and Jimmy Carter1. A forensic anthropologist at the University of Pittsburgh, Jeffrey Schwartz, says Washington had red hair. We can't tell, because he always powdered it. We refuse to discuss the question of what colour Ronald Reagan's hair was, or if, in the words of Gerald Ford, 'Ronnie doesn't dye his hair, he's just prematurely orange.'

Napoleon's famous hat

4. Let's get out of the English-speaking realm for a minute. What famous Continental emperor sported the russet locks?

Napoleon Bonaparte. Besides being the 'cause of our woe', the great French general was a redhead, at least, according to some. He wasn't short, though, that's a canard. Napoleon was 5'7", which is quite a good height for his day.

5. What great composer (think seasonal mood music) was known as 'The Red Priest'?

Vivaldi. He studied for the priesthood before giving us 'The Four Seasons'. (That spring tune's stuck in your head now. Annoying, isn't it?)

6. Let's get literary. What 19th-century red-haired humorist declared, ' When red-haired people are above a certain social grade their hair is auburn.'?

Mark Twain. What's that you say? Of course his hair was white when he was older, which is when those (silent) movies were made. But it used to be red, and he was proud of it.

7. What Bible characters have been accused of having red hair?

Adam, Esau, King David, Judas, and Jesus. No lie. That's sort of what started the whole discussion. Adam's name means 'red', of course, which could mean 'red earth'. But it makes people think. The same goes for Esau, Jacob's brother. Esau's other name is Edom, which means, er, red. Red lentils (as in the 'mess of pottage' story) or red hair? You decide. The Midrash, an ancient collection of Jewish tales about the Bible, has it that people in Israel considered red hair to be bad news because of Esau's (alleged) bad behaviour. I don't argue for this, I am merely reporting. This same source claims that David had trouble getting started in the king business because of this hair prejudice. Building on this, others claim that Jesus was called 'Son of David' because. . . you can guess the rest. Don't shoot the messenger. Take it up with the Wycliffe Society. The only things we can conclude from all this folklore is that there were people in Palestine with red hair back then, and that other people were critical of it.

8. What great Russian would rather have been red than dead?

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin. Who knew? Most of those posters were in black and white. Actually, we take this back. The man was on display, for heaven's sake. There are eyewitnesses. Yep, a red Red.

9. Another literary quote. Who wrote, 'The prejudice against habitual silence, among the lower order of the people, is almost as inveterate as the prejudice against red hair.'?

Wilkie Collins. In I Say No. There's a moral in there somewhere, but we can't find it. Maybe you will have better luck.

10. Are all Caucasians red-headed? What does the Chinese phrase 'ang mo' really mean?

Believe it or not, it means 'red hair'. This term is used in Malaysia and Singapore to describe Caucasians. The best guess is that early contact with Dutch traders meant these folk met a lot of red-headed sailors. Anyway, we think it's sort of like the word 'gringo', one of those 'you had to be there' moments.

There you have it. Red hair is no barrier to greatness. As usual, if you found this quiz a source of enlightenment, hilarity, or satisfaction at the confirmation of your personal store of knowledge, please spread the word. If not, please keep it to yourself. It will be our secret, along with whatever your real hair colour is.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

16.04.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Carter's hair when he was younger is described as 'sandy'. As in the excuse given by this editor's grandmother for why she dyed her hair mouse brown. 'It was this awful sandy red.'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87752820

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more