A Conversation for I Can Do N,O,P or Q turns But Not U Turns?

Roundabouts, grr

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

It used to be that the only roundabouts were in New Jersey. Thus is was possible to avoid roundabouts in the US by staying out of New Jersey, which was also a good idea for other reasons.

The evil things are multiplying. There are two within a mile of where I'm typing. I hate them. North Carolinians drive badly enough already. You can't expect them to figure this out, not with our literacy rate. When confronted by these roundabouts - which are in suburban neighbourhoods, with a speed limit of 20 mph - my defensive driving becomes paranoid.

Roundabouts. Bah.

(Love the n, p, q, and o turns. smiley - winkeye)


Roundabouts, grr

Post 2

Rod

Now now, Vestboy, I don't look down on myself as a driver, nor do I picture myself from great heights.

When I'm about to do one of them turns, it's gonna be a nen-turn ... then, when it's done, 'twas a U.
OK?
Failed. Try again please.
And another thing - why is a capital U right for the job but a capital N would cause a naccident?

As for roundabouts, well, once you get used to them they are useful. Very. They get rid of quite a lot of (but not all of) pushiness - without traffic lights.


Oh, and you probably haven't heard, but NZ was, until the early hours of Sunday morning, the only place left in the world that made you wait to turn into a road on your nearside if there was someone wanting to cross in front of you into that same road.

It was hellish awkward to learn and now mefeels exceeding vulnerable having to unlearn it after 3 years (after driving on the right in the US for months at a time, several times, 'twas returning to the proper side that caused me most problems).


So. Learn how to do it right with Rod, eh?


Roundabouts, grr

Post 3

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Every two years my family vists South Carolina (from Britain) - we stay within a couple of miles from our original visit. There is one, enormous (but not complicated) roundabout there - it, apparently, is the only one for thirty odd square miles

All drivers are given three km (miles actually i assume) warning - nevertheless, with the hopeful exception of the driver, we have taken to closing our eyes and making peace with any listening higher power - it is more than any sane person's life is worth


Roundabouts, grr

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl I can imagine this, Nbb. You have my sympathies.


Roundabouts, grr

Post 5

drzapp

Roundabouts have sprung up all over residential areas north of Salt Lake City, Utah. Sadly, it has done little to curb the poor driving habits of the locals... "ALL vehicles must yield to ME!"


Roundabouts, grr

Post 6

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Gosh, do you think this has to do with them all being 'saints' of the latter day variety? tch tch--that sets a poor example for non Mormons.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for I Can Do N,O,P or Q turns But Not U Turns?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more