A Conversation for Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Peer Review: A87746782 - Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK - A87746782
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

An article on some of the statues, monuments and memorials in Southampton erected over the last 300 years, including to the Titanic, which sank almost 100 years ago, shortly after leaving Southampton.

<BB<


A87746782 - Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Post 2

Sol

Ooooh, this is interesting. I like the way it gives a sort of alternative history of Southampton as well as a statue guide. I like the way you've grouped them by theme. Was there any particular reason for having the themes in the order they are?

I got a bit lost in the bit about Andrews and the Bath stone. Was it the statue itself or just the base that caused the erosion problems? I couldn't tell if the second paragraph was about the same thing as the first or something different. Of course, it is getting a bit late for me...


A87746782 - Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Post 3

Bluebottle

Hello, glad you enjoyed reading it – this article seemed to keep getting longer and longer as I spotted more and found out more about the statues etc around Southampton. It's funny how you never notice great big commemorative things until you stop to look at them.

There wasn't really any reason for the order, other than put the statues first and I wanted the Titanic bits near the top, and the other ship monuments followed naturally from the Titanic.

except that the bit about water fountains was a late addition, when I was browsing the local library and spotted a book in the local interest section I hadn’t seen before about Southampton's horse troughs. As I don't ride horses I wasn't particularly interested, but picked it off the shelf and flicked through anyway, and it was full of extra facts about many water fountains I didn't know much about which also had horse troughs attached, so that was a bit of a late addition.

smiley - modI got a bit lost in the bit about Andrews and the Bath stone. Was it the statue itself or just the base that caused the erosion problems? I couldn't tell if the second paragraph was about the same thing as the first or something different.
smiley - biroGood point, I've hopefully clarified that now. It was caused by my later adding the second paragraph having read the horse-trough book which had a bit more details on the fountains.

<BB<


A87746782 - Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Post 4

sprout

Excellent entry!

If you do get the Shane Warne statue built, don't forget to allow for a lever to pull his eyebrows further up his head...

sprout


A87746782 - Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Post 5

h5ringer

FAO <BB<: The link to Southampton Airport at the top of the Entry has a stray %20 in it.


A87746782 - Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Post 6

Bluebottle

Whoops! I left a space between the " and the A-number. Thanks for spotting this, it's amended now.smiley - biggrin

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Excellent work as ever BlueBottle smiley - applause


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

Bluebottle

That was quick! I never realised that Southampton's statues were so popular.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Southampton's Statues, Monuments and Memorials, Hampshire, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more