No One Home: A Writing Challenge

1 Conversation

Have we mentioned that January is Science Fiction Month? We have? Well, here's an idea to get your creative juices flowing. GregPius has kindly donated this storyboard. Just write your version, and post it on the The New h2g2 Science Fiction Workshop. See you over there!

No One Home

A futuristic 'Dune-scape'.

When the aliens finally arrive on Earth they are surprised at the lack of any sort of welcome. When orbiting the planet they had clearly seen signs of artificial structures.

Imagine their surprise when no large life forms are found on the Earth's surface. Soon they determine that the Earth must be a ghost planet. Even when caves and discernible hiding places are probed thoroughly, no new discoveries are made. Yet the fossil record clearly indicates large life forms had covered the Earth's surface. Finally some large life forms are found deep in the oceans near the poles.

The scientists with the alien expedition, after taking soil and air samples, finally come up with possible solutions. They had already noted the large holes in the ozone layer. Air quality tests come back with toxic readings. Water samples showed that some toxic substance has entered the ecosystem.

As the aliens prepare to leave Earth for good, they theorize over a number of alternate explanations. Finally they agree to disagree and shelve their curiosity. Giving Earth one last look in orbit, the aliens think sad thoughts. And then they are gone from the Solar System.

The Post General Features Archive

GregPius

09.01.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87733065

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more