A Conversation for On Death and Riding a Motorcyle

Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 1

PanmanST1100

Yes, riding a bike is danderous, but that is one of the reasons that we do it I suppose. The thing that slows me down is the knowledge that I've gained, from scaring myself so many times, so long ago, and learning from those times!

I wont encourage my chldren to ride bikes, as the bikes are now more dangerous now that they were years ago (I know that makes me sound old), but I'll carry on riding mine until I cant anymore.

Biking is fun, if done properly!


Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 2

PanmanST1100

It would also look better if I (PanmanST1100) got to spell dangerous properly!

Maybe if there were better roads, better parking for bikes and more friendlier places for bikers, other people wouldn't be so anti-biker!


Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 3

BadZen

Hi PanmanST1100

Yes I've scared myself a bit too! smiley - biggrin

Not sure that I agree that bikes today are more dangerous than they used to be - in what way do you mean that? Sure, there are more powerful bikes around these days, but there are just as many "sensible" bikes too - and better brakes, tyres, handling etc.

If it's because of a perception of increased danger on the road to motorcyclists, then what is needed is some statistics to allow a more objective view...and it just so happens I've started a collection on the Mostly Harmless MC home page. I'm interested in seeing what we can come up with in terms of worldwide statistics about motorcycles.

(Oh, and if you'd like to join the club you're welcome!)

smiley - cheers
BadZen


Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 4

PanmanST1100

As for my reasons as to why bikes are and have become more risky, what I mean is that because they have got the beter brakes and handling they give the illusion that they are safer and people travel faster with more knee slides (myself included when I've got the chance)! I feel the perception of motorcycles getting safer because of the parts is just cosmetic and does not increase safty but decreases it by spped (which is the main reason for an accident I suppose:- A, B, C, means acceleration too fast, braking too hard and cornering too fast, all boil down too too much speed)!

By all means, tell me more on how to join the club and stuff.


Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 5

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

My brother was killed whilst riding his motorcyle by a carless car driver who said "he didn't see him"

The summer before the accedent while my brother was away on holiday for a joke I have his bike sprayed floresamt yellos and also had some leathers and a helmet made up in bright yellow.

I fail to see how anyone could not "see him" in that get up he stuck out like a sore thumb.


Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 6

BadZen

I'm sorry about that Cal. My dad was killed while learning to ride a bike. It's not easy to deal with something like that. The problem is that drivers just don't look for bikes - they're looking for cars, so something that's smaller and shaped differently get's missed. It's happened to me, and I've seen it happen, no matter how brightly painted you are, headlights on, etc., some idiot in a car will miss seeing you.

I have to ask, though - how did your brother take the spraypaint? If someone did that to my bike they'd probably be in serious pain...



Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 7

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

He's good humoured so took it in his stride. I did think though that he would have had it sprayed back. He looked a right sight on that bike in those leathers and helmet, I think he kept it that way to embarrass me as we used to ride together smiley - biggrin


Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 8

BadZen

Backfired, hey? LOL


Riding a bike is dangerous

Post 9

rnrbishop777

In my experience biking is as dangerous as you make it, ive been riding for years now and havent had a single accident involving another person, ive only come off of my own accord, mostly as a learner in the first two weeks then after it was usually over cooking a corner and sliding on my arse.....

My rules for bike safety:

1) Look out!- keep looking over your shoulder, what everyone else is doing.

2) Filtering-DONT FILTER IF YOU ARENT IN A HURRY! Your life isnt worth getting sideswiped by a deaf dumb volvo driving moron.

3) Car Drivers-are all congenitally stupid, deaf and blind. Treat them as such, ie caution. Remember a car licence never involves real training and driving experience so expect car drivers to do stupid things at random moments.

4) Look after your bike-do you really want the carbon race can? maybe the money should go on a new set of tyres and some brakepads?

5) Ride a bike relative to your experience(particularly for Born Agains and Direct Access bikers)-The new R1 is a brilliant bike but if you are a DACs passer or havent ridden in 20 years avoid it-or leave the remains to me in your will! Seriously get an old Suzuki GS500 or similar and get your first few months crashing done on that, and once u stop crashing then go buy something faster. If you buy a big custom be aware they dont steer as a rule, ride slow! I went thusly: KH100, GF125, MZ ETZ301, honda XBR500, Yam XJ600, Yam FZ750, FZ1000(shoehorned an early FZR1000 motor into the FZ) and am now on a Thunderace.



Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more