A Conversation for Talking Point: Now and Then

Stll the Child

Post 1

Who?

The child that was me (many moons ago) would stil recognise himself. I may be older and wiser, but the little boy is still there.

I have done everything I wanted to do and more. That doesn't mean to say that it has been good or easy, but there is often much time in between doing what you wanted to take the edge off it.

I am now looking at my five-year-old son and beginning to think the way he does. It isn't difficult. My wife and almost every other mother think that their men NEVER grew up. Most of them didn't, but won't admit it. If you find it hard to believe, watch 'Last of the Summer Wine' on BBC1. All kids together, aren't they? Well the men are.

Would he like this world? Little boys are very adaptable, but he won't be able to run around the streets like I used to (too many cars) and he won't be able to travel far by himself (too many human dangers) and he may like the telly too much (13 hours a day, instead of 1).

I would be worried if he grew up to be violent or abusive for both are easily acquired these days and, in doing so, he would not enjoy the friendships and relationships I have, nor, perhaps, the joy of meeting new people. But oh, could he travel...

I await my son's future with boyish eagerness which is tempered only by a father's concern.


Stll the Child

Post 2

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

"would be worried if he grew up to be violent or abusive for both are easily acquired these days"

I am not so sure it is worse. It is publicized more.
It all used to be kept in the dark and wispered about.
That made folks MORE vulnerable.

Now we have more fear,and that IS a problem.
Fear can isolate people and distort important issues.

smiley - disco


Stll the Child

Post 3

Who?

My fear is that the violence and abuse is more widespread and can touch us all, no matter where we live, work or play. The child often does not see or understand. We do. That is why we fear.


Stll the Child

Post 4

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Yes smiley - earth

I understand what U are saying.
smiley - sadface

smiley - disco


Stll the Child

Post 5

Who?

Being a nosey old soul, I popped over to your personal page and noticed that we are of similar ages (half-century, give or take a year or two). I am an old daddy. I had more than enough time to achieve all the major goals of my youth (soldier, teacher) and even follow in my father's youthful footsteps.

He was a wartime navy man on Russian Convoys, anti-submarine patrols and invasion support. I went to sea surveying for oil and covered his tracks in all but the Arctic. I've been to Canada (Alberta and BC) lived in Germany and travelled Europe. I enjoyed that as I grew older and wiser but still the boy inside.

I'm pleased to say that the boy is still there, only now he has a new companion, my little lad, and we get on wonderfully well. Some will say that older dads are more distant from their sons, but don't you believe it for one moment. My travelling is curtailed for a while but he's made it to the top of our local hills on foot already and he loves it. We slid on our bottoms down a steep grassy slope. Guess who showed him how to do that? His mum did not appreciate the grass stains though!


Stll the Child

Post 6

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Marvelous! smiley - smiley
U sound like a great Dad. I think older parents CAN be much better! It is about *who* U are smiley - winkeye otherwise known as Priorities smiley - magic
smiley - disco


Key: Complain about this post