A Conversation for Keystone Corner

mascots, nicknames

Post 1

several, a/k/a random

i've been reading mentions of indiana, pennsylvania in the post-gazette and the other, the tribune-review perhaps? fascinating name. i'm in ashtabula OH, just across the border, supposedly a native american word meaning "river of many fish."
somewhat ironically, the chemical and plastic industrial parks currently on the east side of the river basically dumped their waste products into a tributary of said river, and the whole area is involved in a multi-million dollar cleanup and dredging project, taking decades and seeming endless hours of beaurocratic red tape, forms to fill out, meetings to attend and the like.
i am also a fan of the cleveland indians, have been since age 9 (1965) and proudly display my clothes with chief wahoo on them.
i have spoken with the demonstrators on one occasion, and three of them told me they don't really care, they know chief wahoo is only a cartoon, but it is AN ISSUE, and they get MEDIA PUBLICITY, which helps bring in $$$ to lobby the congress for enviornmental protection laws and enforcement of same so that all the "rivers of many fish" can continue to be enjoyed by WHOEVER wishes to enjoy them. and we do.
smiley - musicalnote


mascots, nicknames

Post 2

Jimi X

Pennsylvania should get an award for unoriginal town names...

There's also a state college in California, Pennsylvania. smiley - laugh

Interesting that the protesters were protesting for the sake of publicity.

Have you seen any old cartoons lately from the 40s and 50s? They've been editing out stereotypical racial depictions of American Indians and blacks. Very interesting to see the changes from my childhood to my kids' childhood.


mascots, nicknames

Post 3

several, a/k/a random

my mother went in search of a book for my brother's kids i now hold in my hands, Little Black Sambo, with the original illustrations, some colorized. the kids are now turning 32 and 29 and last i knew, haven't found another copy. it's not actually racist, in my eyes, but a stink was made, it was pulled from libraries.
yes, many of the innocent cartoons that rarely get shown today have been edited. and the bugs bunny's, the porky's and daffy's from WWII about the war effort, making fun of adolph and germans are now collector's items.
yeah, the native american protesters i talked with were okay. one lady, all dressed up as a squaw, said something on the order of, 'hey you dress up your way to support the team, we dress up our way to support our people' and i had to agree.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Keystone Corner

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more