A Conversation for Editorial Processes and Volunteer Schemes

retroactivity in the showcase

Post 1

anhaga

I would hope that the Showcase would reach back to the beginning of hootoo, rather than just looking at new entries. Is this vision shared by others?


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 2

Vip

Yes. Especially if there is nothing in a particular week that has achieved Published but doesn't quite have that brilliance of a Showcase.

smiley - fairy


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 3

Z

OOoh yes, that's an excellent idea. It would really inspire people seeing the best of The Guide in the past as well...


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 4

J

Yes, I agree anhaga. We have some wonderful pieces of writing that deserve that kind of recognition. Pinniped, whose idea this was, suggested selecting a "starter kit" of the 100 or so best pieces of writing on h2g2, before we make the post-BBC transition. Perhaps, as Vip says, if there are no new entries meeting the standard of the Showcase, the QAs could attempt to find an old one. That sounds fine to me.


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 5

anhaga

I really think it would be important to retain a sense of continuity by tying all the incarnations together.smiley - smiley



smiley - offtopic There's been an ominous silence the last while from the PTB about the future.smiley - erm


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 6

sprout

I hope so too. There's so much good stuff hidden in the shadows.

sprout


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 7

Mrs Zen

>> There's been an ominous silence the last while from the PTB about the future.

Silence, yes, but I don't think it's ominous yet. Nick has set a deadline for interested parties to approach the Beeb and state their intention to bid, and that deadline's not yet been reached. Until the Been know who's bidding, there's not much more they can do or say. They certainly cannot say who's approached them or what they think of the approaches.

Once Nick does know who's bidding, I think we should ask to know who the (other) bids are. We *are* the community, whoever buys the site has to deal with us, whether they like it or not. In practical terms I don't think any bid could be successful unless it engaged with the Interim Committee at the very least.


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 8

Z

It's not Nick who's designed the process though is it? He's just the one implementing it, negotiations of this nature are done in private by by there very nature.


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 9

Haragai

The beginning of hootoo...
What was the first Entry, regardless of EG/UG, of h2g2? I've tried with A1 but that was a no-show.
Funny thing I found today: at leats one of the Entries referenced in the Entry on D.A. on the Front Page throws up an Error and it had the lowest A-number I've seen so far.

Guess what entry that was....

...

about Tea ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/entry/A6134 ) smiley - tongueout


retroactivity in the showcase

Post 10

J

Here's a trick - A-numbers are multiples of 9.

The lowest one is, I believe, A27


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more