A Conversation for Alterations to the QI Score Board The old score board

Much better & Comments.

Post 1

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

The only things I personally would add are:

1.) What the points of each category are, eg -5, +3 +1 etc - so that it is easier to see the errors, eg everybody's score should be a multiple of the column value.

2.) A collumn for DGI's awarded. My reasoning is this:

When I introduced the DGI into the QI scoring system it was to enable an alternative method to score between abusing the QI bonus and striving for the correct answer, plus it gave a way to 'nudge' conversations in the 'right' direction.

So it is feasible for someone to say get +6 points purely through DGI contributions and not get the fell swoop bonus of being Quiet Interesting or having to know the answer.

I don't see that reflected in this scoring grid at all - and that is a change I would prefer to see made becuase it would reflect the revised scoring system - and then you can see more clearly who is getting the most correct answers, who is being the most interesting and which players are helping the game along with intelligent guesses.
It also plays to my above point about ease of spotting multiples. If we lump Correct and DGIs together - it is, I suggest, more confusing.

We could even arrange then an end of the year award ceremony - along those lines Most Interesting, Most Diligent, etc But See what the others think if the Scoreboard should visibly reflect DGI contributions?

But overall - I'd say it's good to see the Scoreboard being revised! smiley - ok

Clive smiley - biggrin


Much better & Comments.

Post 2

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Piffle! I made a boo-boo.

I didn't scroll down and see the revised grid! smiley - tongueout


smiley - doh

Okay scratch what I said about the values and whatnot - it makes as much sense if we put all the positive scores in one column and all the minus scores in the other - I see what you're up to now! smiley - ok


Much better & Comments.

Post 3

bobstafford

And it cuts down
1 error
2 time to post by Elf
3 time to enter on score board

smiley - smiley


Much better & Comments.

Post 4

shagbark

looks good to me. Are you going to be using any smiley - zzz Smileys?


Much better & Comments.

Post 5

bobstafford

No Shagbark it did not look all that goodsmiley - cheers


Much better & Comments.

Post 6

bobstafford

Owing to the positive feelings (2 posts) I will go with this on 1/3/2011 unless there are any strong feelings against.smiley - cheers


Much better & Comments.

Post 7

shagbark

smiley - ok


Much better & Comments.

Post 8

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Can you make clear that the combined positive score is

DGI/Correct/QI


Much better & Comments.

Post 9

bobstafford

Is that better clive

This is a working uptodate score board as of this post any comments welcome as usualsmiley - cheers


Much better & Comments.

Post 10

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Yes.

I can see the need for simplifying the board and as such this works.

It would still be my preference that each score had a discreet category and that everybody had a multiple per category and a total - making it in a sense auditable. You can see exactly who got how much for what.

I should point out by having a 'sum' of the positive scores what we sacrifice to gain that simplicity is the ability to independently check on each variable the comprise the scores, it is as if we were using frequencies in a graph. You've lost some of the specificity of each data point.

BUT- so long as you are comfortable with that (and I sense you are) then go with it. smiley - ok and thanks for making the change to make clear the 'sum total' nature of the positives collumn. It makes more sense now to look at.


Much better & Comments.

Post 11

bobstafford

Hello Clive,

Good point well made as usual, after all this time I tend to think (given the lack of any feedback of any kind) folks are only concerned about the total score, it could be however no news is good news.
The why is first it is nice to give it a refresh after 5 years.
It cuts the time required to complete the scoring process down by about 30% giving a simple + and - score issued by the question setter.
If the ins and outs of the score are wanted that is/could be covered when the score is published at the end of the question.


However I will not go against the majority
What has been done can be undone a full template of the original scoreboard (s) will always stay on file.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Alterations to the QI Score Board The old score board

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more