A Conversation for The Garden Shed - Gateway to Utopia

Taxes in Utopia?

Post 1

Pheroneous

If Utopia is to be a co-operative society - which seems, at least on first sight, to be a good idea - then there is stuff that the participants will need to do together. That may present a problem. Some people are industrious, others are lazy, some people are fit and healthy, others are in need of care, some people are good at particular tasks, others are not. Already you can see that there will need to be some division of labour, and there will be some people who will necessarily perform non-productive tasks such as training others, nursing others and caring for others. So how are they to be fed, clothed and housed? In Utopia, the industrious, the fit, the talented will happily and willingly give up some of the rewards from their labours to support those who labour to keep Society's wheels a'turning.

Hmm.... that means taxes!


Key: Complain about this post

Taxes in Utopia?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more