A Conversation for Why A Community Led h2g2 is possible

Reviewing the words..

Post 1

8584330

This is not a power grab, we don't you want to take over h2g2 for your own reasons.

smiley - huh Is that:

This is not a power grab, we don't want to take over h2g2 for our own reasons.


Reviewing the words..

Post 2

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I have no idea what it is, I was told to write it so I wrote it. smiley - erm


Reviewing the words..

Post 3

8584330

These are just suggestions, Tavaron, like a peer review thread.


h2g2 is notable for passionate members of the site who want to have a say in how things are run and are frustrated at that lack of opportunity; this way everybody has a say. After years of complaining, why not take charge? There's so much we can do! Never again need the community feel sidelined by the powers that be.


Reviewing the words..

Post 4

Vip

I think HN is correct, it looks like a typo to me. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy


Reviewing the words..

Post 5

Z

Yes, it's a typo - it should be 'for our own reasons'.


Reviewing the words..

Post 6

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

ok, changed it


Reviewing the words..

Post 7

Z

Thank you smiley - cheers

Thanks for all your great work


Reviewing the words..

Post 8

8584330

Sorry, I didn't do that last set of copy-editing very well. Here, I try again.


h2g2 is notable for passionate members of the site who want to have a say in how things are run and are frustrated at that lack of opportunity, this way every has a say.

Long sentence and every needs a noun.

h2g2 is notable for passionate members of the site who want to have a say in how things are run and are frustrated at that lack of opportunity. Every member has a say in the running of a community-led site.



You've been complaining for all these years -why not take charge?

It puts the reader on the defensive.]

After years of complaining, why not take charge?



Never again with the community feel sidelined by the by the powers that be.

With is probably not the right word, and by the is repeated.

Never again need the community feel sidelined by the powers that be.


Reviewing the words..

Post 9

Z

I'm sorry for giving you such poor quality copy. I would be happy just to delete that sentance altogether.


Reviewing the words..

Post 10

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

delete which one?


Reviewing the words..

Post 11

Z

'After years of complaining, why not take charge? There's so much we can do! Never again need the community feel sidelined by the powers that be. '



Reviewing the words..

Post 12

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - ok done


Reviewing the words..

Post 13

8584330

This sentence is still not right:

This is not a power grab, we don't you want to take over h2g2 for our own reasons.

I think 'you' should be deleted:

This is not a power grab, we don't want to take over h2g2 for our own reasons.

This statement sounds like we don't want donations:

We had an overwhelming offer of donations at first but we hope that we would be able to get going without having to raise a large amount of money.

If we change the 'but' to 'so' and add 'additional' it sounds more like we would be happy to accept financial support for the reading pleasure and intellectual stimulation we provide.

We had an overwhelming offer of donations at first, so we hope that we would be able to get going without having to raise a large amount of additional money.

I'll shut up now. I have a kitty-cat to rescue. smiley - lovesmiley - cat


Reviewing the words..

Post 14

Z

Great work HN - thanks for spotting all that, I am an awful proof reader.


Reviewing the words..

Post 15

8584330

My mom was an editor. She used to give me copy to edit.

Which reminds me, there has got to be a much better way of editing, in the futuristic h2g2 of my dreams...


Reviewing the words..

Post 16

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - ok changed again

If you are bored some day I can send you the Entry about North American houses of the ... well, say 16th to 18th Century, I think 19th would get too much... that I just try to write. I think it's terrible so far. smiley - laugh


Reviewing the words..

Post 17

Z

I can edit other people's writing, but not my own. I just found out that was because proof reading uses a different area of the brain to writing, and reading for meaning.

smiley - weird


Reviewing the words..

Post 18

Haragai

"we don't want to take over h2g2 for our own reasons"

Hmmm... Say what?

If we, i.e. the community or the committee, do not want to take over h2g2 for our own reasons, then what the heck for?

Perhaps I misunderstand, not being a native Islander (U.K. national) and all, but my impression we would LIKE to take over h2g2 BECAUSE :
*** We want h2g2 to continue to exist in a way we are comfortable with

To me that is OUR reason for wanting to take over, even if no-one else wants it.

So, maybe I am putting too much emphasis on details, I tend to do that sometimes.


Cheers!
Martin
---
Free?! Does that mean I can't get a Discount?
I thought I heard a Dolphin Wistle ...


Reviewing the words... again

Post 19

Haragai

Dirt!
Now I know why I miss the "Edit my own post" button. To continue :

The line after "we don't want to take over h2g2 for our own reasons" actually rephrases this statement with a positive twist.

In My Humble Opinion - Which Can Be Loud Sometimes, these two lines could be rewritten like this:

"We are not trying to take over h2g2 regardless but instead we offer a backup plan to ensure the survival of the site if no other reasonable solution is presented.

If we would take over h2g2 we would run it as a democracy in the interests of all the users."

Just mumbling along...

Cheers!
Martin
---
Free?! Does that mean I can't get a Discount?
I thought I heard a Dolphin Wistle ...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Why A Community Led h2g2 is possible

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more