A Conversation for The Village de la Vavoom's First Annual Harvest Festival 2002

PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 1

Also ran 1


We welcome contributions to our pickled stall.



Sweet or Sour

Homemade or Hootoo specials

They made be in jars, wooden containers or ceramic.

All entries are welcome
(Well at least nearly all are!!)

Please send them to the above address marked

Special delivery.
Prize pickles and jams.

Thanks


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 2

shazzPRME



My pickled onions are famed throughout h2g2 - they have even travelled overseas and been sampled at a Meet. smiley - blush

I would like to enter my favourite 3, recipes can be found here:
A655535

Pickled Onions in Cider Vinegar
Pickled Onions in Tarragon Vinegar
and a speciality sweet and sour version:
Pickled Onions in Raspberry Wine Vinegar.

shazz smiley - magic


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 3

Trout Montague

My humble offering can be found at A812288.

Please visit and boost it up the table.

Thanks

Monty


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 4

Trout Montague

And what Harvest Festival would be complete without this ...

A813502

Please visit, and let me know how it tastes.


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 5

shazzPRME

Oh yummy!

We certainly can't let them loose on the pickled onions without some good cheese as accompaniment. smiley - ok

shazz smiley - magic


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

*floating by on inspection round*

Things are looking really nice, AR1!smiley - ok

Oh - Shazz's pickled onions! I'll definitely have to come back later and sample them!smiley - tongueout

*drifting off*


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 7

Also ran 1

Very dear Shazzsmiley - magic
Thank you for the lovely recipe and the the variations that one can make. It sounds great. I wonder if anyone will send in a recipe for pickled gherkins. I also love those!. Kind regards. AR1 smiley - schooloffish


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 8

Also ran 1

Well dear Monty smiley - rose
What a feat - to make a Camembert. I can hardly believe it. But thank you so much all the same. Your offering is going to be placed at a site which has the correct temperature so that it will be beautifully creamy and runny on the 30August. Everybody visiting the pickled tent is promised a most wonderful atmosphere.
Smoked wood shavings on the ground and muted lighting in the tent,will add to the air of expentant gratification on entering the hallowed enclosure..
As an added attraction we are having some smoked hams specially imported from France and thee are going to be beautiful h2g2 lasses who will be only too willing to slice a sliver of ham to combine with the pickle of your choice.
Rustic crockery plates, and special knives with wooden handles will be available for those wishing to taste the pickling skills of the hootoo researchers. In addition we have imported a French baker who will be on hand to produce flutes and baguettes on demand.
Various cheeses will also be abilable to sample with the pcikles.
It is entirely likely that unless another outstanding entry comes in, your homemade Camembert will be given pride of place in the centre of the tent.
Thank you for your contribution.
Regards AR1 smiley - schooloffish


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 9

Also ran 1

Titania dear smiley - rose

AR1 sturggles to catch hold of her as she is floating away.

"Are'nt the h2g2 researchers fantastic". she whispers breathlessly." The pickled tent is going to be a great competitor to the Cake competition tent."

AR1 excuses herself to go and see what has happened in her other responsibility the cake competition tent during her enforced absence.

Waves goodbye to Shazzsmiley - magic and the Camembert King/Queen Monty, AR1 smiley - schooloffish swims away with her shiny tail making a discreet splash over the wood shavings on the floor. .


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 10

Also ran 1

OOh Titania smiley - rose

AR1 struggles to catch hold of a wisp of Titania;s cloak as she goes wafting off.

"Are'nt the h2g2 researchers wonderful the way they have teamed up and entered their favourite recipes"

AR1 continues

"The pickled tent is going to be a real competitor in the tent surpises at the Valley of Vavoom Harvest Festival don't you think?"

AR1 suddenly realises that she had better go and see the cake competition tent. Before leaving she waves goodbye to Shazzsmiley - magic and to Dr. Montague Trout. She informs him/her that unless another outstanding entry is received his/her homemade Camembert is going to be the pirze cheese of the Show.

With difficult AR1 smiley - schooloffish manages to get her silver tail moving in the thick sawdust on the floor and even achieves a splash of water onto the rustic table as she swims away.









PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 11

Also ran 1

Sorry double entry,

My tail slipped on the floor and off went the PC!!
AR1 smiley - schooloffish


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 12

shazzPRME

In that case, may I also offer some chutney to go alongside the hams, cheese and pickles?

A666047

It would really be nice if we could have some crackers as well - or maybe a good crusty loaf spread with creamy butter (cholesterol be hanged, we're going to enjoy ourselves!). smiley - biggrin

shazz smiley - magic


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 13

Also ran 1

Dear Shazzsmiley - magic
Thank you for the super chutney receipes. Both the apple and red and green Tomato Chutney. they sound grand.
If you want crackers you may have them and also special cholesterol free butter - (if only such a delicious spread existed - nothing tastes as good as the real McCoy - particularly Cornish butter!)
Kind regards AR1 smiley - schooloffish


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 14

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

*Enters the tent and looks at the display.*

OOOOOOooooooooo! Pickles!

smiley - biggrin


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 15

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

PICKLES!!!!!!!!!

*falls over in pickle bliss*


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 16

mari-rae(tee reads: (entangled in cardboard boxes, please send tape...)

Bread and Butter are my favorites, and I also love Kosher Dills and Sweet Gherkins too.

*Eyes quart jars of pickles on display...* droooool.... smiley - tongueout drooooooool....


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 17

Titania (gone for lunch)

*comes from The Beer Tent with an smiley - ale in her hand*

I'd like to have some of Shazz's delicious pickled onions to go with this, please!smiley - smiley


Trust me - they go perfectly together - I've tried it even in RL!


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 18

Also ran 1

Of course, my dear Titania,
I have taken a few pickles and put them into attractive pottery bowls so that customers may try them before they decide to buy them. There are so magnificent displays and the onions pickled in cider of Shazz are particularly good.

I have alwso managed to get some tiny black olives from the south of France. A cousin of mine has sent them to me. They are utterly delicious. Do you see that we have an entry of a Camembert from someone who is now in Hong Kong? That is really fascinating. I look forward to speaking to you tonight at 20.30.
AR1 rushes away to complete the display of her pickles on the various shelves and tables which are covered with brightly coloured hessian.
She has decorated the tent with weeping willows which have been placed in tubs at strategic places. On the floor there is a rush mat and there are displays of old fashioned implements used to make olive oil, vinegar and also a potters wheel which was used to make the pottery jars orginally used to store the pickles.
She looks around the tent appreciatively and hopes that there will be lots of people who come to sample the fare.
She swims rapidly away to see to the cake competition. AR! smiley - schooloffish


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 19

Also ran 1


Dear Mari-Rae,
Of course we shall have crusty bread - We have organised for a baker to come from France - and have managed to obtain a consignment of butter from Cornwall. ! What part of Australia are you going to be coming from? It would be great if you could bring some Australian cheese with you!!. it goes beautifully with pickles.
Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Kind regards AR1 smiley - schooloffish


PICKLES - SWEET AND SOUR

Post 20

Also ran 1

Nyssabird!
It will be even better tomorrow!!.
AR1 smiley - schooloffish


Key: Complain about this post