A Conversation for GG: Pre-Celtic Ireland

A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 21

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm currently researching another entry which will be the Tourist's Guide to Pre-Celtic Ireland, so I didn't want to go into details of individual locations in this one. But it might be some time before the other entry is written, because I'd like to visit all these places before writing about them.


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 22

Gnomon - time to move on

I've changed the entry very slightly - I've removed the reference to acidic soil. Now it just says that the chemical composition is such that bone is dissolved over thousands of years (which certainly seems to be true), without saying why.


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 23

Woodpigeon

Hi Gnomon, sorry smiley - blush! I was meant to find out a bit more about this, and I haven't done so yet, so for completeness I will get back to you on it.


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 24

Gnomon - time to move on

Whatever you find, the entry is ready to be picked as it is now. If you find out more, I'll consider putting it into the entry.


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 25

Woodpigeon

I agree, you don't need to change the entry as it is. Its just a titbit of information.


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 26

Spiff


Hi Gnomon, smiley - smiley

i had a quick look at this, but it is formidably long and i got put off... smiley - sadface

the thread appears to feel it is ready, and you seem to agree, which is good enough for me, smiley - ok

i *will* read it... it's just a question of when... and whether it has already been picked by then, as it looks as though it will move smoothly through PR

cya
spiff


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 27

Jimi X

Very interesting stuff...

For some reason I always figured the standing stones were a Celtic thing...

...turns out that was wrong. smiley - winkeye

Knowledge is good.

smiley - cheers


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 28

Woodpigeon

Hi Gnomon. Yes, it seems you can split Ireland in two in terms of terrain, and that much of the southern and eastern part has calcareous soils; while acidic, boggy soils predominate in the northern and western parts. There are, of course, exceptions in both parts.

Also, and somewhat ironically, because bogs contain very little oxygen, and therefore very little bacteria, organic preservation can be excellent. Overall there is reckoned to have been 80 finds of preserved bodies in bogs in Ireland over the past 200 years. Very few of these finds still survive, however smiley - sadface.

Decomposition of organic materials appears to be a fairly complex thing!


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 29

Ashley


Y'all know why I'm here - so let me know if this baby is ready to roll its way into the Edited Guide. smiley - cheers


A807464 - Pre-Celtic Ireland

Post 30

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes, Ashley, it is ready to go.

The debate about acid vs alkaline soil has been sidestepped by being deliberately vague in the entry, so it is no longer an issue.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 31

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 32

Whisky

Darn it, just once I'd like to get in before that dratted automated message...

Congrats anyway Gnomon smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 33

Gnomon - time to move on

Yay! smiley - bubbly

Thanks, Whisky! Thanks, everybody, for your comments! smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for GG: Pre-Celtic Ireland

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more