Love - A Test of the Real Thing

4 Conversations

A man wooing a love heart.

So you've been dating for quite some time now and you're starting to wonder... "Is this really love?"

Of course, a question like this one will never be easy to answer. A myriad of factors must be considered. However, some of the most important qualities of a loving relationship can be found in the apostle Paul's first letter to the Corinthians(which can be found in the New Testament of the Christian Bible).

Whether or not you are a Christian, this passage contians some good "food for thought" about love and relationships.

I Corinthians Chapter 13

"Meanwhile these three remain: faith, hope, and love; and the greatest of these is love." - I Corinthians 13:13

The entirety of Chapter 13 of the book of I Corinthians deals with the idea of God's love and how important it is to human beings, but verses 4-8 deal predominately with the qualities that love should have.

Print this out and share it with your partner. You may discover that you already have true love, but more likely, you'll find things to work on that can make your relationship better... which is in itself an act of love.

Verse 4

"Love is patient and kind; it is not jealous or conceited or proud."

Love isn't an all-consuming occupation. In fact, one of the best gestures you can make towards your partner is to allow them to be on their own and trust them to come home to you at the end of the day. Like the old saying goes: "Let you love go, and if they return, they are truely yours."

Verse 5

"Love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable; Love does not keep a record of wrongs."

It is difficult to constantly and consistantly place the good of a relationship before your own good, but that is exactly what love requires. One way to do this is to forgive, and more importantly, forget any slights or grudges you might be carrying.

Verse 6

"Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth."

Now that you've forgiven your partner, allow them to forgive you. Don't keep secrets. If you mess up, fess up and allow the healing to begin... the sooner the better.

Verse 7

"Love never gives up and its faith, hope, and patience never fail."

No matter what you face in your life, love should always help you through it. Love is not a fair weather friend.

Verse 8

"Love is eternal

Only when the relationship has passed the test of time true love ever really be achieved. It is easy to "really adore" someone for a month or even a year or three. But can you see yourself feeling the same way for years and years down the road?

We all need to be loved...

...and not just in a romantic way. We all need to know that someone, be it friend, family, significant other, or even a member of H2G2 cares about us and will be there for us. As Paul said,

"I may be able to speak the languages of human beings and even of angels, but if I have no love, my speech is no more than a noisy gong or a clanging bell. I may have the gift of inspired preaching; I may have all knowledge and understand all secrets; I may have all the faith needed to move mountains - but if I have no love, I am nothing."

-The Good News Bible: Today's English Version


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A806726

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more