A Conversation for Nitrogen Narcosis

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 41

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Hi Stuart,

Congratulations! I made few comments earlier (post 6, I think) that I think might be worth including, if that's possible. What do you think?

TTFN

Otto smiley - schooloffish

----
It's worth saying that the narcs don't just bring about euphoria - the heighten whatever you're feeling at the time, so one effect can be fear, depression, and paranoia. I used to dive quite a lot, and the only time I'm sure I was narced was at about 45 metres on a wreck in France. The waters were very clear, and it was still dark! I got a definite sense of feeling trapped and vulnerable that was more than just deeping diving anxiety!

It used to be called "raptures of the deep", but isn't always ratures nor always deep! In diver slang it's just "the narcs". (or at least it used to be)
---


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 42

Stuart

Hi Otto,

I read your comments on Nitrogen Narcosis havig the effect of hightening prior feelings like fear, anxiety and paranioa. I am afraid I must disagree with you. Everything I have read and experienced of the narcs suggest the opposite.

Because of the narcotic effect, the conditions you mention are more lielky to be inhibited.

I am sure you will have had experience of doing things when intoxicated that you would not normally do when sober because of natural inhibitions. I know I have. I believe Nitrogen Narcosis is likely to have a similar effect.

smiley - oksmiley - stout

Stuart


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 43

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


Well, I'm not sure if I've been narcked, but if I was, it was slight paranoia. Paranoia / fear / anxiety are not among the commonly listed symptoms, but I was always told that it (like alcohol) matches the mood of the consumer! I've found a few sources for this:

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/instruction/narced.shtml
(under "Isn't it called Raptures of the Deep?")

http://www.emedicine.com/wild/topic36.htm
lists anxiety as a symptom

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/nitrogen+narcosis
lists anxiety, paranoia, and depression

Also at this site:

"The relation of depth to narcosis is informally known as "Martini's law": Its like one martini per 10 meters below 20 meters. The actual calculation depends on more factors, but it can only serve as a rough not serious guide, which can never substitute safety rules."
(I thought this was funny.....)

http://www.scubacourse.com/scmain/articles/narcosis_dangers.asp

TTFN...

Otto smiley - schooloffish



Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 44

Stuart

Hi Otto,

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. If the symptoms you mention do occure, I believe there are other factors at play besides the narcosis.

Whenever I have been narced in a decompresion chamber, I have never experienced anything except total hilarity.smiley - biggrin

But then, decompression chambers are warm, dry and brightly lit.

smiley - oksmiley - stout
Stuart


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 45

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


Hi Stuart!

Well, it's up to you - the entry has already been peer reviewed and picked as is. I still think that narc-induced anxiety and paranoia are well-documented phenomena, and are mentioned on a number of reputable websites. Up to you, though!

TTFN

Otto


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more