A Conversation for The Emperor's New Economy

Flea Market: A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 1

Sean

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A801


A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 2

Jamie of the Portacabin

Sorry, but there is no way on Earth that this will pass editorial muster.

What is it even about? smiley - erm


A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 3

Bluebottle

I must admit that it seems the most bizarre, surreal article I have yet to read in all my time on the guide.
I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or burst out laughing...

But yes, I fear that it's not quite what the Guide is looking for... Despite it being a Picasso of words, the Guide is looking for more conservative articles - which, I fear, mean articles about something. An article with the title "Emperor's New Economy" would be expected to include information on:
Who the Emperor was.
What the economy was like before and after.
Why this economy was new.
In a fairly informative way.

Please don't feel disheartened by this, and do please try writing again.

<BB<


A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 4

Jimi X

There *was* a reason these old entries were demoted from the Edited Guide. I'm just trying to remember what it was...

smiley - winkeye


A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 5

Martin Harper

This is a great opinion piece, and adequately explains why you feel that the so-called "New Economy" is a load of rubbish. But the best place for such an opinion piece, imo, is in the UNedited guide.

A balanced review of the "New Economy" would be a worthwhile addition to the guide, I feel. But this entry ain't it... smiley - winkeye


A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 6

Global Village Idiot

But if only more people had taken heed of it back in March '99...
smiley - winkeye

IN MEMORIAM
boo.com, clickmango.com, letsbuyit.com etc etc


A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 7

Notquiteallhere - the Conversation Assassin

I reckon there's definitely something sinister about this whole New Economy - there seems to exist this shadowy bunch of 'Net necromancers, able to breathe life into the previously dead. Evidence? The reanimated husk of Letsbuyit.com, Barrysworld rising from the depths of it's server vault, and so on.

And those sites that have remained alive till now, making deals with each other, and with certain meatspace concerns as well, to stave off the attention of these dread powers...

Or is that too surreal? *grin*

NQAH


A801 - The Emperor's New Economy

Post 8

shrinkwrapped

I think this entry is fantastic. Obviously, it can't go in the Edited Guide, but it simply must be promoted in the Humour section, or wherever else it can be.

It seems that Sean is one of the original members of the h2g2 development team - no wonder this entry is so old! And hats off to the guy: he co-wrote the DNA-edited entry on Tea!


Conversation Moved

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.


Conversation Moved

Post 10

sprout

This is good. I wonder what's happened to it now? Could perhaps make the Underguide?

sprout


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more