A Conversation for Talking Point: Predictions for the Future

Video Games of the Future!

Post 1

Pikaye

Hello, I'm new and this is my first time, so bear with me.

I think one of the things that will dominate the future is video games. It seems logical to me; after all, video games have been driving home computers to greater heights since they were created. What started out as a dot bounced between lines has evolved into such possiblities as creating an actual different reality we can populate at any time, in real time, with thousands of other people (Final Fantasy XI) and we're no where close to finished. Sony recently announced that it's PS3 would rival Deep Blue, a supercomputer. It's amazing to consider what will happen as we master this stuff. The blur between artificial intelligence in a game and actual intelligence might resolve to an nonexistent line...incredible, isn't it? In popular Sci-fi (the books that does this prediction thing all the time) books by Ben Bova, the idea of VR is very common and extremely realistic, putting a person into the world of data. Applying this concept to gaming is just really cool.

Well, that was my two cents and what not.


Video Games of the Future!

Post 2

Bodhisattva

I'm sure Nintendo will still reign supreme.

Can't wait for Super Mario VR!


Video Games of the Future!

Post 3

Twisted Leg Joe

The possibilities are truly endless. I can see the day coming where humans are actually linked to the machines themselves (not an original concept but definitely one I believe in) a'la Matrix stylee. I love the idea of being able to control an online game without holding a pad but simply using the power of thought to influence the games. Also the idea that somehow the feed from your senses to your brain is over-ridden and the computer replaces it - thus you would see, hear and smell as if you were in the gameworld!! How mint would that be!! Bear in mind the speed at which technology is advancing and you can see how soon this could happen (100 years? 150 years). I'm sure that military systems developers are already looking into these sorts of ideas as the ability to control aircraft (for example) with thought would have huge advantages. Any good?!?!


Video Games of the Future!

Post 4

CMaster

Yes, the USAF is doing a lot of work on remote controlled aircraft. Its probably to make the pilots raised on a diet of video games fell at home...


Video Games of the Future!

Post 5

tourdelux

Yeah VR would be really cool. You could recreate a past world and populate it with real people!


Video Games of the Future!

Post 6

the_big_bad_wolf

I think that if there is not VR, then we will place a pad on our forehead and our characters movements will be thought activated!
Or, a more chilling aspect is we will click fingers and a hole will appear in our headsmiley - erm/smiley - wah. Then we will suck all the information into a computer chip in our brains and then wherever we are we can play the video in our head, and that'll make it more realistic too.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more