A Conversation for Distinctive Theme Songs

Small Problem

Post 41

Demon Drawer

Dallas: The brass chords at the start then the coutry music-esque theme called the whole household in for more of JR's dirty dealings.

Match of the Day: A theme that was heard every Saturday night for years and instantly summed up memoried of Bovril and Meat. The BBC sadly now use different music every time they seem to cover football.

Blue Peter: Barnacle Bill is an essential tune in the childhood for every child growing up in the UK. It has gone through a few changes down the years but is still the same tune underneath it all.


Small Problem

Post 42

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Take a peep at the University project on the Front Page this week - it discusses the individual works of the composers, pointing out interesting sections and what have you, without necessarily being *that* opinionated. The fact that you like a theme is kind of inherent in the fact that you're discussing it, I'd say.

Right -

The Avengers - though the series actually had two themes (with a third composed for the 1970s revival The New Avengers), it's the one composed by Laurie Johnson for the Diana Rigg / Linda Thorson episodes that is best remembered. It begins and ends with a pair of bold, brassy fanfares. At the beginning, the fanfares give way to tinkly piano and a swooning string section that, combined, offer a sense of British sophistication and a little bit of patriotic flourish too. Throw in a few brass stabs to hint at the action sequences that will follow and you have a theme that truly defines the quirky charm of the programme it introduces.

I'll see if I can add a few more tomorrow if you like smiley - smiley



Small Problem

Post 43

Lucrecia (Knight of an Unusual Amount of Healing Items, Movie Buff Extraordinaire - A809958)

I do like. I'm gonna have to do a tad bit of research into each song in order to give the article some substance other than the quotes... But I think that the they will be the backbone! The whole point of this entry, I think, is to recall some of the shared experiences we all have had through tv and movies.

That was good... I'm gonna have to put that in there somewhere!

Please, keep 'em coming!

(No time for an update tonight... Will do it tomorrow.)

-Lucrecia


Small Problem

Post 44

Hoovooloo

Saturday mornings in the 1980s just would not have been the same without:

"... and IF you can find them - maybe you can hire... THE A TEAM"
ratatatatatat

DAAAAH DADA DAHHHHHHHH, DAT DAH DAAAH!
DAAAAH DADA DAHHHHHHHH, DAA DA DATA DAAAAH!

etc.

Will turn any thirty something male into a twelve year old with an invisible machine gun in five seconds flat.

Also, has anyone, anywhere in the WORLD, ever even ONCE surfed a longboard, sat in a Canadian canoe or paddled a dragon boat, and NOT sung the theme tune to Hawaii 5-0? It's practically a legal requirement!

H.


Small Problem

Post 45

Lucrecia (Knight of an Unusual Amount of Healing Items, Movie Buff Extraordinaire - A809958)

Got 'em! Thanks, Hoo!

-Lucrecia smiley - fullmoon


Small Problem

Post 46

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

As to the A-Team, it's being broadcast *right now* at my place, two episodes every Sunday morning smiley - biggrin

Taa-da-rat-taa, ta-tiii-ta !


Small Problem

Post 47

Catwoman

What about the Flintstones?
I heard a story that the guy who created them overheard someone humming the tune in a lift, and said he'd give him $100 (or something similar) if he could sing the whole song. And he did it! This would be a good story of you knew the name of the guy and the amount. And if it was true.


Small Problem

Post 48

Trout Montague

Rhubard and Custard - a cartoon saga about a pink dog and a yellow cat, or the other way around. It's certainly distinctive even if you only saw it once about 20 years ago.


Small Problem

Post 49

Trout Montague

I reckon it was done on a 'stylophone'


Key: Complain about this post