A Conversation for DEVON'S NEW FLAG

Devon Flag

Post 241

Ozzie Exile

Exeter's Express and Echo (part of the WMN group) look like they have gone to print on the Devon flag, see link below.....

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=99926&command=displayContent&sourceNode=99835&contentPK=5511671

The same story appears on the 'thisisdevon' site, which may mean that it has also/instead had a run in the WMN.

Well done guys!!

Nothing yet on the 'thisisplymouth' (Herald) site, or the Indy.


Devon Flag

Post 242

Plymouth Exile

I have not received a phone call or an E-Mail from the Indy yet. Has anyone else?

I wasn't too sure about the WMN Group article at first. I read it to imply that 'outsiders' (how dare they) were trying to tell Devon people what their flag should be, but on reading it a second time, I think that I may have over reacted. I still object to being called an ex-Devonian. As far as I am concerned, once a Devonian, always a Devonian.

Plymouth Exile


Devon Flag

Post 243

Ozzie Exile

I agree with Plymouth Exile that the WMN article can be read with a slight 'negative' view, because of the 'outsiders' slant.

I think this is more a reflection of the headline than the article itself, so I doubt the journalist is to blame.

Having said that I think people will read negativity into it only if they want to, so it somewhat depends on the mindset of the reader.

There are some upsides. The journalist clearly does not associate Devon as being a part of Wessex, and says so.

As to the Indy - nothing yet - I think we may have missed this week!


Devon Flag

Post 244

ryan_sealey


The radio never phoned me which is a bit weird as they said they would in a reply to my email.
Anyway ive read the article in thisisexeter and i gotta say it doesnt sound great to me, the journalist does seem to have taken a negative stance doesnt he. Ah well at least people will get to know about it and then they can make up their own minds about it.


Devon Flag

Post 245

Davyth

I think the article sounds fine. I think the angle the journalist took was irony. The fact that many of the people who took part in the discussion don't currently live in Devon. You appreciate your Devonian identity more when your not there! All publicity is good publicity. Are any other flag makers making the "Devon cross".

Davyth


Devon Flag

Post 246

ryan_sealey

This is a bit off topic i know but i was wondering if anyone knew why welsh people are sometimes called swillies in devon (esp plymouth)?


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 247

Big JG - Landlord of The Editor's Arms

Yet another BBC feature on the flag this morning.

BBC Radio Devon took the flag onto the streets to guage reaction. You can hear the report by clicking on the link at the top left of this page - http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/community_life/features/devon_flag.shtml


Regards

JG

PS "All publicity is good publicity......"


Devon Flag

Post 248

Plymouth Exile

Devonian,

I don't know why Plymothians would call Welsh people "Swillies", but 'The Swillies' is a notorious whirlpool in the Menai Strait between North West Wales and Anglesey. Incidentally, it is referred to in the concocted Anglesey place name of:-

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

The middle section 'gogerychwyrndrobwll' means 'near the fierce whirlpool'.

But I am afraid it still doesn't answer your question.

Plymouth Exile


Devon Flag

Post 249

parrferris

Did a lot of Welsh people used to live in Swilly (now North Prospect), perhaps?


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 250

Ozzie Exile

I tried listening to the Radio download, but it wouldn't work on my PC, even though I download Real Player (again...)

A touch frustrating.

Anyone care to tell me what was said?

As for London devonish wanting to donate a flag - perhaps devon Cricket Club? Their colours are not green/black/white however, rather blue/blue/black/yellow/white.

Just a thought


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 251

Plymouth Exile

Ozzie Exile,

It didn't work for me either. I think there may be a bug in the sound file.

Plymouth Exile


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 252

ryan_sealey

nope didnt work for me either, must be something wrong with it.
ive never been aware of any Welsh "ghettos" in Plymouth but i'll look into it and tell you my findings.


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 253

ryan_sealey

I was well off with my welsh idea, it seems that swillies are just your basic box standard janners that live in swilly, i dont know much about plymouth to be honest but i gather this isnt a nice part.


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 254

Kerswell

I can't get the radio feature to work either - although with my PC I am not surprised.

Did anyone catch it on the radio??

As to Swillies, I had not heard of the term being related to Welshmen.
Swilly (the Plymouth suburb) does have a rather poor press, and that is why the name was changed to North Prospect.

I understood Swilly meant 'babbling brook' (read that in a newspaper many years ago) so it must have been nicer once. [I am sure I will be swamped with people saying that it nice now].

There is also a Lough Swilly in Ireland.


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 255

ryan_sealey

yeah i found loads of stuff about lough swilly aswell as stuff about some sort of sea phenomenon near anglesey in Wales. No doubt we'll be told these names are of celtic origen while the name swilly in Devon is stolen or borrowed.


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 256

Ozzie Exile

I emailed devon online about the problems with the radio audio, and I recently tried it again, and two times out of three it worked. It seems the BBC have problems with Real Player themselves.

Anyhow, if you can't get it to work, I will describe it.

There is a brief intro in which Ben says he showed a number of people (on the streets of Plymouth) the flag and asked a number of people what they thought.

About half a dozen responses are heard. Most of those are very positive (one almost brought a lump to my throat), whilst one lady wanted to add a picture of the Mayflower in the middle, and another thought it a touch close to the Cornish Flag.

Then there is a boring bit with some dude from Australia talking about how we initially contacted DCC etc.. and after we reached a decision how they indicated they would refer to it in future.

Then there is some input from BBC John Govier, and somebody else (who I forget) - all of which is positive - although a touch 'pro-Argyle'.

Then Ben ends up saying that it may be some time before you see it on bumper stickers and on public buildings. This last bit seems a touch unrelated to the rest of the discussion - but it probably isn't important.

I must state that when Ben i/viewed me he did push the 'isn't it a bit like the Cornish flag?' a bit, so I can understand the comments (responses) in this regard (perhaps he is Cornish?)

Why he goes a little bit -ve at the end I don't know, because as far as I can see bumper stickers (at least) are just around the corner.

By the way - it went to air Monday morning.

Also by the way, my 'Devon Flag' webpage has had a noteable increase in hits since BBC Devon started highlighting it on their website - so somebody out there is listening!!!


Devon Flag Radio Feature

Post 257

Kerswell

Sounds good. I think any street poll will get a variety of views, especially on a subject which is new to most.

I would be interested to know what the reaction is from the show.

Also, any news on bumper stickers...this seems to have gone off the boil.


Devon Flag

Post 258

Ozzie Exile

For those of you who may be following the fortunes of the Devon Flag that was given to Devon Rugby Union.

Last weekend Devon lost its quarterfinal match against reigning chamions Gloucestershire 25-32 - away from home - and are therefore out.

This week they played a 'seeding match' against Berkshire, and thrashed them 50-19.

This match was played at Ivybridge (I believe) and would have been the first time the flag was flown at 'home' in support of the team (and Devon).



With regards the bumper stickers, and in the absence of any better ideas, I am prepared to arrange for the production of 250 stickers (the full monty four colour one). Any of those who have participated in the discussion and build up can contact me and I will send you some 'at cost' (just mail the cash).

We can then send a genuine example to petrol stations and newsagents etc.. so they can see what they are getting. This might improve our chances!!!


Devon Flag

Post 259

Devon Editor

As promised the BBC flew the flag at the Devon County Show and very good it looked too. We had lots of positive feedback from visitors and several people wanted details of how they could buy a flag of their own. Maybe next year we won't be the only people flying the flag at the show! All the best.


Devon Flag

Post 260

Ozzie Exile

DE

Thank you for the feedback, excellent news - at least you were not pelted offstage with rotten eggs nor (apparently) indundated with comments about being 'argyle sympathisers'.

I think we will produce some car stickers shortly.

My view is that we will contribute a few to the BBC, partly as a thank you, partly as a 'so there' to Ben (!) and also to give them away to listeners and viewers as promotional items.

If the rest of the crew agree I suggest we donate a dozen stickers to the BBC - the rest will be at very commercial prices!!

Thank you guys!!!


Key: Complain about this post