BEYOND THE TANTRUMS : DIFFICULT CHILDREN

2 Conversations

SO IS THERE A PROBLEM?

You've got past the terrible twos and even threes. Everything is plain sailing. But then you child turns into a monster, and by the time they are six or seven you are having real trouble. tha school is complaining that your child is disruptive in class, in trouble for fighting and a whole range of other problems. At home they seem to challange you at every turn, temper is taking on new dimensions and every thing you've tried doesn't work. Being strict is a waste of breathe, biribery is a failure and reasoning is also a waste of time.You know the child is bright and is capable of good work and even better behaviour given the right circumstances.

Any of this sound familiar?

RECOGNISE THE PROBLEM.

The first stage, and often one of the most difficult, is to acknowledgethat a problem exisits. People will tell you that the child is "a character" or "a live wire", but you know that there is an underlying problem.
Do not be afraid to think about the "A" word, and that is AUTISM.
The autistic spectrum is extremely wide ranging and covers a huge number of behaviours and symptoms. These can be from mild attention deficit though to hyper-activity and on to fully autistic children, with all shades between.
We shall confine ourselves to the lower end of this spectrum, as the more severe forms need different approaches.

SO WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

Hyperactivity or attention deficit disorder is known under the combined term of ADHD ( attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ) and covers a range of behaviours that include restlessness, poor sleeping, low concentration levels and impulsiveness.

THE TELL TALE SIGNS.

The signs associated with ADHD are as diverse are the children themselves and can include some ( or all )! of the following :-

Poor concentration
Constant fidgeting
Restlessness
Poor organisation skills
Poor social skills
Clumisness
Disruptiveness
Bedwetting
Poor sleep patterns
Inability to wait in queues
Low self esteem

and so on!

Combinations of these symptoms can be a guide to help recognise the problem. However, the problem of low self esteem can lead to other social problems and may need to be dealt with as a seperate ( though complimentary ) problem.

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD?

Children with ADHD are just as intelligent as others, and in many cases have above average intelligence. But unfortunately their level of achievement is undermined by the inability to concentrate ,sit still etc etc. Even mild cases of ADHD can cause problems in a busy class, where the teacher cannot cope with continued distractions.
This can also lead to teaseing and bullying from class mates making the poor social skills even worse.
Given help and with time these things can be overcome and the child will develop into a fully functional person and grow to their full potential.

HOW AND WHY?

Both how and why are the big questions when confronting ADHD.
No one seems to be able to give an answer to either, but there are some clues. Boys suffer more then girls and blonde boys appear to be the most effected.
This may point to a genetic cause, indeed in the case of identical twins if one suffers with ADHD then there is an 80% chance the other will also be effected. Non identical twins have about a 40% chance of the occurance of both being effected.

Another strong possibility is dietary factors. Excessive sugar, additives, presevatives, pesticides and salicylates have all been linked with the occurance of ADHD.
Salycylates are an asprin like compound that occurs in many foods, such as apples, grapes, carrots, broccoli, some nuts, cola, tea, coffee, oranges and yeast containing products.
Certain additives such as E102 ( tartrazine )has been known to trigger bouts of hyperactive behaviour.

Yet another possibility is the defiency of key vitamins and minerals.
The low levels of vitamin B6 has been shown to effect behaviour in adults as well as children. Indeed studies in the US have shown great results using B6 supplements on violent offenders in juvenile prisons.
This is often supplemented with Fatty oils such as fish oils. Long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids as found in oily fish, cabbage and spinach are thought to aid the carriage of B6 to the brain.

The absorbtion of B6 can be stopped by yeast over growth in the intestines. There are theories that oral antibiotics given to young children for minor and reoccuring complaints such as ear infections, sore throats and coughs destroys the natural balance in the guts thus allowing yeast to flourish. One such thoery postulates that this is the cause for the rise of ADHD and autism in the last 20 years, as injected antibiotics are rarely given these days compared to the 1950's etc.

Toxins, such as heavy metals in the blood may also be a contributing factor. Lead, mercury and copper are all harmful in high levels.

ADHD, AUTISM and MMR.

As an aside, there is some evidence now emerging that children who have problems mentioned above, particularly intestinal problems ( leaky gut ) when given the MMR vaccine pushes them into an Autistic condition. There is not any concrete proof of this but it remains a distinct possibility.

SO NOW WHAT?

Treatment for ADHD has also grown to be as diverse as the reason for it occurance.
Possibly the most well known in the use of RITALIN. Is is known to work and clinics have reported a success rate of 80% to 95%.
The drug is a stimulant that is thought to bring brain activity up to normal levels and therefore improves all of the symptoms. It can also lead to a reduction in agression as well.
The down side is that is a class 2 drug in the same catorgary as amphetamines and methadone. Long term use can lead to phychosis, mania and is addictive. Children may also become lethargic and depressed.
In the short term Ritalin is a useful tool but cannot be seen as a long term solution.

There is a move at this time to HOLISTIC treatments such as acupunture, aromatherapy, massage amd homeopathy.
These are all useful weapons in the struggle but the oils and essences used may be acting as supplement of minerals etc.

The greatest strides in a non drug orientated approach is in the area of diet.

DIET AND ADHD.

As already mentioned the absense of fatty oils and B group vitamins, or the excess of toxins, be they metals or additives can be combated with changes in diet. Taking fish oils capsules with a B6 supplement as well as vitamin c has been shown to have benfical results.

Some foods can also act as a trigger to start of bouts of hyperactive behaviour. The most common are colourings, flavourings, preservatives, cows milk, choclate, cheese, wheat, sugar and oranges.
Lesser triggers can include fish, eggs, citrus, bannanas and tap water.

One diet that seems to have positive results is the FIENGOLD diet.
Dr Feingold ( a Californian peadiatrician ) has devised a diet to eliminate salicylates. Thus stopping the nervous system overreacting to these compounds.

One word of warning, do not put children on a restrictive diet without medical supervision. You make do other harm by omitting crucial elements from the diet.
Also behaviour may worsen with the removal of a trigger food.
Hyper acyive behaviour is like a drug rush and the removal suddenly may cause some problems.

ONE CHILDS STORY.

The child concerned, was a very bright toodler, but into reception year and then onward it was clear there was a problem brewing. All the classic symptoms were on display but the parents did not acknowledge the problem for some time.
They were prompted by a friend with an autistic son to consider ADHD.
Their GP dismissed this idea, but they decided to check for themselves. The first step was an organic acid test and this revealed an extermely high level of yeast over growth and the associated low B6 level. More tests confirmed this and a regime of supplements was prescribed by the consultant that had been engaged to look at the case.
The childs diet was changed to be organic with no colours, E numbers etc.
In a short time the improvemnt began to be quite dramatic and the parents were rightly pleased.
Then the set back came. They suddenly seemed to be going backwards.
Several days of testing for food triggers followed and a set of desensitising vaccines were prescribed. Along side this a rotation diet was introduced. This means dairy on one day, wheat on another, rice on another on so on. This gives the body time to wash out one type of food before it has to deal with it again and therefore there is no build uo of triggers.

THE RESULTS

The child concerned is now seven and is improving every week, reading age is up, so is that in written work and so on. Behaviour is greatly improved and the family is looking foward every day.
The Education Authority also sent a behavioural specalist to help with low self esteem and this was another step forward.


DOES THIS HELP?

This case shows that there is a way for children to improve and what ever method some one employs it will be different with every child.
The important thing is not to give up on bright children whose education may be wasted because of the lack of trying. Many children must have gone through the education system and have been labelled as troublesome when there was an easy answer to their troubles.












Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A776801

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more