A Conversation for The Mornington Crescent Appreciation Society

Errr....

Post 1

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Riiiiiight... so what's the basic idea of this game?


Errr....

Post 2

redalien

Please read the code of conduct, we are not supposed to summarise this complex game. Past experience of this has lead to players who are not familiar with such rules as the Orson-Wyman Shunt; without which the game may not have survived to the present day.

There are lots of resources available to players, especially Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac (ISBN: 0752847295) which provides valuable background information, but at only 112 pages is nowhere near long enough to explain the subtle rules of this game.


Errr....

Post 3

Santragenius V

I think that it's no coincindence that Stovold's Almanac has been listed in long periods under "fiction" on Amazon. Now that it is - to my knowledge - sold out, we no longer need to worry about entrants to the game armed with only this knowledge...

I'd always recommend Stovold's other work, the Stovold/Jamesbury Complete Rulebook and Exception List, Abridged. From 1958, isn't it?


Errr....

Post 4

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

I see...

In case I can't find that book, could you reccomend a few websites?


Errr....

Post 5

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

The best way to learn the game is to play. There is a sometimes active game at;

F19585?thread=367676

Study the backlog and jump in with a move!

Even a major blunder such as invoking WWII rationing or destroying the Monarchy will be taken in stride. I do not believe the rumors that Prince Charles is a secret player, even if he is... he'll have to accept the consequences.

F smiley - shark S


Errr....

Post 6

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

OK are there any actual rules to this thing, or do you just make it up as you go along?


Errr....

Post 7

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

I did a bit of research, and have just one question left - why is it so hard to say 'the aim is to get throught the London Underground to Mornington Crescent'? Hmm? Eh?


Errr....

Post 8

Santragenius V

*shuffles his feet a bit, hope that he's not actively violating any rules*

You see, we have all signed the Rules of Conduct...


Errr....

Post 9

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

According to Wikipedia, there are no rules. You cannot summarize a body of writing which does not exist. Therefore, why the reluctance to simply say 'There are no rules.'? You're not summarizing the rules...


Errr....

Post 10

Chainsaw_Dan

It's not that there are no rules, more that there are many rulesets. If you and I were playing "Royal and Ancient" MC you wouldn't want someone crashing in with say, "Gorts freestyle", the two would be incompatible. The best suggestion I can offer is to study a few previous games, or look up some of the famous players (although not Eamon Ruttsborough or Vic Stannard).


Errr....

Post 11

bunnyfrog will never die

I wonder if anyone has updated the spurious Wikipedia entry yet?


Key: Complain about this post